Drivers seat

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Gilbert

1st Gen Owner
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
I have a 2002 Sport Trac with manual seats. My son borrowed it and when he returned it the drivers seat leans to far back at its first setting. Any ideas on how to get it to sit up straighter?

Is the recliner lever stuck?

No the lever works fine.

51DB01D3-4EC2-41D3-96C3-044A92655FFC.jpeg
86A0C39E-A2F7-441B-8CBD-B36243D8A867.jpeg

I had that reclining issue with my manual driver seat, but only once since I'm the only one that drives the vehicle.

IIRC, I sat in the seat and put slight pressure on the seat back while lifting the lever. Seat back released, I adjusted, and haven't moved it since. I believe there was a technical service bulletin (TSB) issued many years ago for installing an updated replacement pivot bolt. No promises I'll find it, but stand by.

I tried the pulling it like you did it just goes back. I really think the toothed gear turned but haven’t figured out how to get it turned.

I believe I got my seat back to "lock" in position after moving it all the way forward and back several times. This a good reminder because it's a very serious safety issue in case of a collision and/or air bag deployment.

IIRC, the repair involved removing the seat back cover. I'll continue to search for a TSB or recall.

Says 2001, but call your dealer or NHTS with VIN to see if your 2002 Sport Trac is affected.

Issued: 2003-08-07

DESCRIPTION OF ISSUE

ON CERTAIN SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH HIGH BACK SEATS, THE UPPER BOLT ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE HIGH BACK SEAT, THAT ATTACHES THE SEAT RECLINER MECHANISM TO THE SEAT BACK FRAME, COULD FRACTURE. IF THE BOLT FRACTURES AND DOES NOT JAM IN THE SEAT BACK FRAME, THE SEAT BACK MAY RECLINE UNTIL IT MAKES CONTACT WITH AN OBJECT BEHIND THE SEAT, SUCH AS THE SECOND ROW SEAT CUSHION. THE DRIVER COULD POTENTIALLY LOSE CONTACT WITH THE STEERING WHEEL OR FOOT PEDALS DURING SUCH AN EVENT, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

DESCRIPTION OF COMPONENT

SEATS:FRONT ASSEMBLY:RECLINER

RESOLUTION

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE DRIVER SEAT UPPER BOLT WITH A METAL SPACER AND BOLT. IN ADDITION, SEATS WITH TUBULAR BACK FRAMES WILL HAVE THE FULLY THREADED LOWER RECLINER BOLT REPLACED WITH A PARTIALLY THREADED BOLT. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN ON AUGUST 29, 2003. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT FORD AT 1-800-392-3673.

NOTES

FORD RECALL NO. 03S04
CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

https://ds.angelsautoservice.com/safety-recall/ford-explorer_sport_trac-2001-3200-5505

Thank you. I have discovered my recliner assembly will lock entire assembly begins to slowly lean back. I have tightened the two visible bolts but it will still slowly go back.

Those two bolts shown in your first pic are usually NOT the issue. If DIY, you'll need to remove the rear seat cover and inspect the UPPER bolt mentioned in the TSB. If you don't want to go that deep I would call an automotive upholstery shop before any Ford dealer unless it will be covered as a safety recall.

Not 100% sure, but this "may be" the tubular frame (bolt) kit used for the 03S04 recall. "Seat belt fastener kit" description used in some listings is incorrect. Confirm fitment for your 2002 Sport Trac BEFORE ordering.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=F87Z-7862649-BB&_sacat=0

I have a 2002 Sport Trac with manual seats. My son borrowed it and when he returned it the drivers seat leans to far back at its first setting. Any ideas on how to get it to sit up straighter?
You need to contact la-z-boy recliner that was a out of house production part, a patented reclining technology. They are located at 210 S Main St #103 and think twice on loaning the ST out, you are
lucy you are not contacting that all the seats are missing, a Area 51 issue.

Latest posts