Driveshaft Issues

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JC2008SportTrac

Reaction score
Howdy, all!

I have a 2008 V-8, 4X4, and my very trusted mechanic tells me that my used, bought-from someone else truck is kinda jacked! He said that the driveshaft is on it's very last legs, and they do NOT sell the driveshaft for my truck, ANYWHERE. They also do NOT work on this driveshaft. Anyone have any information I can send him that'll help me out? I trust this guy a great deal. He said the driveshaft needs some love, that he, nor any shop in town, can do...

I have the solution to your problem. Fort Wayne Clutch & Driveline make all new drive shafts for our trucks. The shafts are all new very heavy and well made and come with everything you need to install it with and have a replaceable carrier bearing. They are in Fort Wayne Indiana there number is 800-258-8243. They also have parts for the front shaft as well. I have one in mine and have put over 150,000 thousand miles on it no problems at all. They also make drive shafts for other problem vehicles also might wont to turn your mechanic on to them, they have been around for a long time and make everything in house that they can. They also make a lot of custom drive shafts for everyday drivers to race cars, monster trucks, drag cars, pulling trackers & trucks.

Howdy, all!

I have a 2008 V-8, 4X4, and my very trusted mechanic tells me that my used, bought-from someone else truck is kinda jacked! He said that the driveshaft is on it's very last legs, and they do NOT sell the driveshaft for my truck, ANYWHERE. They also do NOT work on this driveshaft. Anyone have any information I can send him that'll help me out? I trust this guy a great deal. He said the driveshaft needs some love, that he, nor any shop in town, can do...
The support bracket on my 07 was failing and my mechanic said it was easier to replace the driveshaft with a used one than to just replace the $25 bracket. Bracket, Ujoints, and used driveshaft $350

If you can find a good used drive shaft, most of them all have the same problem its the carrier bearing that is wore out, and is not replaceable on the factory drive shaft if you have a V8 4x4. If you can find a good used one i would jump on it.

If you can find a good used drive shaft, most of them all have the same problem its the carrier bearing that is wore out, and is not replaceable on the factory drive shaft if you have a V8 4x4. If you can find a good used one i would jump on it.
Yes, it is the carrier bearing that is worn out (according to my mechanic). I just don't know how that means to the driveshaft itself I know it's a two-piece driveshaft, and I've had these in a couple other vehicles (mustangs, '05, and I think my '99 Cobra had a two-piece). BUT, I've never had a 4X4 driveshaft (unless the 2010 SHO had one). My ignorance to what the 4x4 versus the '05 mustang (which I KNOW had a two-piece driveshaft), I don't know what a carrier bearing is. I know what I THINK it is (bearing where the two meet, attached at the body, and keep the two pieces moving)? I just don't know why a bearing makes my 2008 4X4 ST's driveshaft dead.

The carrier bearing is not replaceable on the factory drive shaft. Not one of Fords better ideas i know. Fort Wayne Clutch makes two different rear shafts one with a replaceable joint the other one is not. For the money i would get the one with the replaceable even if you don't keep it, its a good resale point. I think there is about a 100.00 dollar difference or so.

I just replaced my driveshaft for this very reason. I replaced with OEM to the tune of $1000. Runs great now but a pretty stiff price none the less. Good luck with the fix!

Local guy that does my undercarriage/difficult repairs for cash. Unfortunately I may need to let go of my ST due to age and minor repairs that are starting to pop up more frequently.

Hi Emory. I originally thought my wheels/tires were out of balance. The vibration would show up right around 70-72mph. I had the wheels balanced and still the vibration showed up. I had a mechanic look at it and they found the "carrier bearing" was ripped and worn out. As I understand it there is a bracket that holds a bearing for the drive shaft support. Inside that bracket is a rubber bushing to isolate the bearing from the drive shaft and the vehicle. That rubber bushing was torn. This allowed the bearing to vibrate at a certain speed. I would also notice a "thunk or thump" when backing up over something or under braking i would sometimes hear a thud when coming to a stop.

Hope this helps identify your issue. Good luck. Cheers,Ted.

2WD carrier bearing is replaceable.... 4WD is NOT.... there are many places to get a new shaft... Rock auto, Fort wayne, Dorman. Don't use Colarado….

Is the carrier bearing driveshaft problem limited to gen 2 v8 STs? I a have an high mileage 02 that is starting to have some of the shaking above 75 80 mph on the hwy and some sight clunking - thought it was u-joint so bought one to install when things get worse but now wondering

2WD carrier bearing is replaceable.... 4WD is NOT.... there are many places to get a new shaft... Rock auto, Fort wayne, Dorman. Don't use Colarado….
I'm hearing good things about Dorman Driveshaft as the replacement for my driveshaft/carrier bearing for my 4.6 4V4. It seems it's about $500.00, versus the $1,000.00 option from Ford. AND, it sounds like it's a beefier replacement. That's what I'll go with, in the next couple thousand miles.

I just had a more pressing issue spring up. Truck was driving 150 miles north, no problem. Tires are worn, but not completely shot. But on the 150 mile trip back home, I wasn't in the vehicle, but it used to drive 100% straight. It now pulls HARD to the right.

Took it to a tire shop, they put it on the rack, and said only the lower ball joints were bad. I was surprised it was ONLY that, as i knew they were shot. They've been shot since I bout the truck (at about 125K miles), but it drove 100% straight, up to the point my GF was driving it home from OKC to Tulsa.

Who knows if she hit a really bad pot-hole, and doesn't want to tell me. Regardless, the tire shop wants about $600 to replace the lower ball joings (uppers are okay, and nothing else needs replaced, accoring to those that want me to spend money).

Does $600 sound fair to replace lower ball joints, and align the truck? Like I said, suspension isn't something I'm well versed in, so I'm wondering if I should hold off until I get new wheels/tires, or if the ball joints will work good regardless of the wheel/tire on the truck?

a true 4 wheel alignment here ( If done right ) is $180... the sport trac SUCKS to align.... I would just replace the whole arm... They are about $60-70 new for the arm and are almost easier then pressing in and out new ball joints.... Especially on a gen 2..….I think your price is fair, but could be cheaper…. Wish you lived closer. Id change them for free lunch....

You're good peeps, Todd. :)

I called two different places, one is the guy that I've used for general maintenance such as this. He's normally 'fair' in price, but I trust him in both the price, but that the job is done right. His shop, AND the shop that is the 'generic, works on everyone's vehicles' shop, quoted me about the same price (625-635) to change out the lower ball joints on my truck, align it. UGH!

I'm not a truck guy; I've always owned Mustangs. So this is relatively new to me; especially higher-mileage vehicles, but especially higher mileage trucks.

I want to make my ST more Adrenaline-like. Do I need to lower it any to get that 'look', or was that all from the bumpers and side-bars? Looking at things, I think they achieved a 'lowered' look just from a longer/taller front and rear bumber, and slick side-skirts. But I'm not against lowering my truck, as, even though it's a 4x4, it won't be going offroad, unless I get stuck when driving to one of our farm ponds. :)

I just want to get that Adrenline look, and get my truck driving straight again (have to replace the ball joints; there are upper and lower, evidently, lol!) If I want to lower my truck, would I use the same ball joints (is that the same as an A-arm, as I know it on a car)? I just don't know anything about trucks, and very little about suspension overall, but way less about truck suspensions!

I can rebuild a 302 blindfolded, and change the jets in a Holley carb, but don't know much at all about suspensions. Dad didn't get to that part with me. :(

Thanks for your help!!!!!

all suspension is the same... v6, v8 adren, xlt, limited... look at the parts when you search... fits them all.. OHH and the regular 4th gen explorer 4 door is the exact SAME parts....

Hi Emory. I originally thought my wheels/tires were out of balance. The vibration would show up right around 70-72mph. I had the wheels balanced and still the vibration showed up. I had a mechanic look at it and they found the "carrier bearing" was ripped and worn out. As I understand it there is a bracket that holds a bearing for the drive shaft support. Inside that bracket is a rubber bushing to isolate the bearing from the drive shaft and the vehicle. That rubber bushing was torn. This allowed the bearing to vibrate at a certain speed. I would also notice a "thunk or thump" when backing up over something or under braking i would sometimes hear a thud when coming to a stop.

Hope this helps identify your issue. Good luck. Cheers,Ted.
This is ALL going on on my truck. But, I ALSO have bad front suspension items (at this point, lower ball joints - the uppers are still okay, but the lowers, where all of the wear exhibits itself, are WORN). I'm going to replace my lower ball-joints. But everything that was said above is true. It's wear-item suspension parts. They have to be fixed.

Okay, I shopped around, and it seems it's going to cost me around $600 to get the lower ball joints fixed on my truck. That's a price that three different shops wanted to charge, one of them being my 'guys' shop. So, evidently, they want to charge you $600-ish to replace the ball joints on this truck. Doesn't seem like a fun job. :)

Okay, I shopped around, and it seems it's going to cost me around $600 to get the lower ball joints fixed on my truck. That's a price that three different shops wanted to charge, one of them being my 'guys' shop. So, evidently, they want to charge you $600-ish to replace the ball joints on this truck. Doesn't seem like a fun job. :)
The parts are about 100-150 (depending on the parts), the work is about 250-300, and then you need to have the vehicle/work aligned, which is another $100-120'ish.

I want to find an Adrenaline in my relativetly-close area. I don't want to have to drive to fine one, as I had to drive almost 500Miles to find this truck.