driving in 4 wheel drive

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
sorry for what will seem like a stupid question to all you expereinced sport trac'ers but this is my first 2 wheel drive.

Used my 4 high setting on slushy and snowy highways this weekend.... i'm not sure of exactly when it should be used in such conditions. More important, when im driving slowly and steering sharply in 4 high (like in a parking lot) the steering feels like it almost wants to lock the wheels and not move

WHat is normal and what should i expect

thxs

Only use 4WD on slippery surfaces. You can damage your truck by using it on dry surfaces. The symptom you describe in the parking lot is normal. It only will happen on surfaces when you have too much traction for 4WD.

Here is an excerpt from the owners manual. Since you have a 2005, I would suspect your Trac came with one too. Take a moment and read it. You will be suprised to find out it does explain many things you are wondering.

[Broken External Image]:

Tom

The steering will stiffen up in 4wd, that is normal. In 4wd on snow it will also "push" a lot, or want to go straight ahead, when you turn. Key is to go fairly slow to begin with and don't gas it much going around turns or it will plow straight as the front tires lose traction. If you're in town on a normal residential street, barely above idle is good. Nice thing about the electric transfer case is that I often just switch it off going around a corner, then switch it back on.