Driving with the folding tonneau cover folded

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffksf B

Reaction score
So I was driving home with my Thule box in the bed of my Trac and I have to have the rear section of hte tonneau cover folded forward(stupid lock cylinders that protrude way to much) and my tailgate down. I noticed the wind was lifting the folded section up pretty high. I did have the bungee straps in place but it was probably lifting to atleast 45 degrees. I never remember it doing this before. I was doing 60-70 on the highway and it was windy out.

I drive with the tonneau cover folded quite regularily (ie. every time I have to make a trip to the dump) - I simply strap the folded section of the tonneau cover down. I use the cam buckle straps available at most automotive places, hooking the strap to the tie downs on the sides of the box.

I simply don't trust the bungee straps on the cover.

It sounds like the bungie cords on your tonneau cover have been over-stretched, or the rubber has deteriorated over time. In either case, I would not trust them to hold and if they break you could easily damage your cover.

As previously mentioned, I would buy some new adjustable bungie cords or the ratchet style tie-down straps.

...Richard

One of my factory bungies came loose from its pocket in the tonneau cover. The plastic clips broke. Also, both inside safety releases had the glue holding the velcro strips fail leaving the safety releases hanging loose. Both problems were solved using a little epoxy glue.