Dual Exhaust for '05 and brake/fuel lines?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melody Owens

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Havent stopped in for awhile, life gets busy. Anyway, I went to a custom exhaust shop yesterday and got a quote for dual exhaust, SS tips, Flowmasters for $615 (thats including tax.) I want to do it, but the fuel filler line and brake line would be REALLY close to the left pipe. The guy at the shop said he could tack the lines up away from the pipe, and showed me where he would put them, but they would still be within 6 inches of the pipe. Should I do it? I HAAAAATE the stock pipe, I cannot stand the out the side ugly pipe, and really like the way the dual exhaust looked when he showed me what it would look like. But, at the same time, the lines there are pretty darn important, and I dont want anything to happen with them. I dont know how hot the pipes get, if the heat from them would melt or dry out the rubber in the lines. Has anyone had a problem with their dual exhaust and lines? If it will be constant problem, I'll just forget it and learn to like the stock pipe, or atleast get a SS tip for it, but I like the straight out the back pipe look. Any info/feedback/comments would be greatly appreciated! Hope everyone is having a wonderful Holiday Season! Happy (early) New Year! :D

Melody O.

West Palm Beach, FL

Melody,

Glad to here from you...

I had the same issue... I bought some high temp hose wrap and metal zip tied it out of the way... I have loaded the truck and have driven it for almost 20K miles with no problems..

See pic...

I think the price is slightly high.....

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Melody,

my pipes run about 4 to 6 inches from any hose and brake line. The pipes really do not get that hot when you consider how close some hoses are to the engine. I do have solid hangers to make sure the pipes stay away from the lines and this also keeps the pipes from bouncing and hitting stuff when you hit bumps and potholes. However, the solid hangers will break eventually.

And I'm with Todd on the price - I have a FM40 with dual outs. One pipe each side from the muffler to the tip. Took the guy about four hours to bend them right so they wouldn't hit anything and give me the tip angles I wanted. Although the tips can be welded on at different angles, I wanted them straight on the pipes. Anyway, I paid 390 for the muffler, two 18 inch tips, the piping and the install.

grump

Not too good of a picture.

[Broken External Image]:

Nice...yeah, he said most of the price is in the labor, that it will be slightly higher because of all the bending and twisting and stuff they have to do to get the pipes in the right spot (there's not much room to work with under the ST!) I am going to get a few more estimates this weekend, but this first place is the same place my boyfriend got his dual exhaust on his GMC Sierra and it was only $425, so they aren't always that high. I was quoted $575, but I figured out what it would be including taxes. There aren't many good places around here (that I know of and have been referred to) for exhaust. I went to one supposedly good place a few years ago when I had an older car to just get some work done on my engine (I think it was ignition coil and engine seals or something like that) and they ended up dropping a bolt or some small piece of metal into my engine and TORE UP my cylinder, so I had to get the whole engine replaced, that was a nightmare. And this was the place that exclaimed they do all high end work and all custom exhaust/engine work. Anyway, thanks for the info about the hose wrap...may I ask where you got it?

Melody

Wow Grump...you only paid that much? You wouldnt happen to live in South FL would ya? haha...Yep, I'm going to get some other estimates, I think that place is high. Are solid hangers normally put on or do I need to ask for them? Sorry, new to all of this! I appreciate all the info though!

Melody

Some places will put them on, some won't. Most exhausts have a rubber type mount somewhere to absorb shock, so that's what a good shop will want to go with. Due to the limited space underneath, even a good bender is going to have to get the pipe close to something that moves, the end links or leaf springs. My first ST had rubber mounts and a bump would cause the pipe to drop while the spring compressed and they'd meet in the middle - CLANG!!! So I had them replaced with solid. After that, it took a real hard bump or pothole to get them together.

2 nd ST I just told them to make them solid from the get go. Also, my tips are only 1/8 inch from the plastic bumper cover and I didn't want that to get beat to hell.

good luck

grump

Last edited by a moderator:
Melody, there are plenty of places here in SoFla that can do the job. I would suggest looking into Mad Hatter Mufflers. The price you are getting is way high. Drop <a href="http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/profile.asp?MemberID=8772"target=top>Evan</a> an email and get details from him where he had it done. They did a great job though I don't know if you can get the same deal, I'm sure it will still be much cheaper than what your being asked to pay. Evan is in Boynton Beach. <a href="http://www.mysporttrac.com/shared/profile.asp?MemberID=2780"target=top>Stogiehog</a> also has the same setup you're looking for and I don't think he paid anywhere near that much. He hasn't been on the board lately due to hurricane issues but if you drop him a line I'm sure he'll get back to you. Definately don't go with your first quote, way to high.

If you want to drive down to Homestead you can check out Southern Muffler on US1. They did mine from cat back with a delta 40 series dual out and tips for under $500. They did a great job and I'm still totally happy with it.

I also live in south Florida. If you guys want to get the work done at a reasonable price you have to get out of Palm Beach county. Drive down into Miami and you will find a local custom exhaust shop that will be customer oriented probably work done by a Spanish guy who is very proud of his trade and will work with you until you are both extremely satisfied. This goes for window tint, custom wheels, pinstriping and many other mods you could have done.

I also live in south Florida. If you guys want to get the work done at a reasonable price you have to get out of Palm Beach county. Drive down into Miami and you will find a local custom exhaust shop that will be customer oriented probably work done by a Spanish guy who is very proud of his trade and will work with you until you are both extremely satisfied. This goes for window tint, custom wheels, pinstriping and many other mods you could have done.

I heard Harvey's wasnt that good? My bf went to get his done there, and they wanted to reuse a lot of parts from his old exhaust. I will check it out anyway, they are close to me...but you havent had any problems there?

Thanks everyone!!

Melody in WPB

Maybe to late to help, but I have mine just like the photos of Grumpy's same model and exhaust tips. Pro installed for under $500 with Flowmaster. Your price sounds too high!

Latest posts