Dueler REVO overkill?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rey Taylor

Reaction score
I dont really drive off road at all. I just need a set of tires that are going to do well in the rain and snow during the winter. I live in NJ. Would the REVO's be overkill for mostly on road driving. If so what is another good tire that will handle well in the snow and rain.

I just put a set of GoodYear Silent Armors on my ST and love them!! I just got back from a week in Tahoe and the tires were awesome on the drive up and great in the mud and little snow and ice that were on the roads.

The were completely quiet on the highway...3 hours up highway 80...I am very pleased. And, they look awesome!

I was going for the REVOs, but got a better deal on the GoodYears...Glad I did!

Rainman,

What size r your tires? I have a set of Goodyear Fortera's that are great in rain and snow. only have 1200 miles on them came off my 07 st...and they are very quiet.. they r 245/65/17 will give great price...let me know

Bill

I don't get to 'froad as much as I'd like (cursed work thing anyway...), but I have REVOs and frankly I'm not real happy with the treadwear. Great in rain and snow though. I'd suggest a regular Bridgestone A/T, similar tread but with smaller blocks. It might wear better.

I also drive mostly on-road with the occasional off-road excursion. I have the REVOs and like them. They are not high mileage tires as they have a softer compound in the outer half of the tread. They are supposed to make-up for that with a harder compound in the inner half as well as a broadening tread block base (kind of trapezoidal in profile) that provides progressively more contact area (or less weight per area).

I don't believe they are overkill, but they are spendy.

Also if you have a generic tire dealer near you, I do, there is another tire called a Wild Country XTX that has tread very similar to a REVO. I had a set of those on the Ranger I had before, they don't cost as much as Bridgestones. Treadwear was also less than great. I got 25,000 out of both brands.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinkin about the long trails. Have people with them had good experiences? I just want a tire thats gonna last me a while and handle good when it snows(not too much in NJ) and rains.

Take a look at the Toyo Open Country. Definitely a good AT tire for less then the Bridgestones. I personally went with the Bridgestones but I was Impressed with the Toyo's for the money. Another interesting tire is the Nokian. Made in Sweden with a compound that includes silicone for snow and ice traction. Ryan Eylander, a former regular to the site, had them on his ST and he was very happy with his choice.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the Toyo Open Country A/T's and loved them on my ST.

i have cooper discoverer a/t's and love them. had them for about a year now and so far am happy with the treadwear. i commute over 70 miles(highway) to and from work but got the at's because i like to do some offroading but like yardsale-work gets in the way. on my old explorer i had cooper discoverer h/t's. they're the "highway" version in the discoverer series and don't have as an agressive tread. i was happy with them as well just wanted a more aggressive tread this time around. they are priced very reasonably as well. i don't remember paying much more than $120 a tire mounted and balanced.

Latest posts