E85 105 Octane

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Fennern

Reaction score
OK...OK, I get horrible gas mileage. I not a tree hugger or anything like that. I am just tired of giving my money to support countries that hate the US. Besides, I an from Iowa and corn is our thing here. Are there any settings that would help my mileage so that I can stay with the E85? Or is this one of those cases where I will just have to bite the bullet? Besides the gas mileage what else should I be aware of while using the Flex fuel?

I love my Trac!:wub:

Jim Fennern

CR Iowa

If your engine isn't made for it, don't use it. Engines that can use flexfuel have a lining in the cylinders that prevents reaction with the ethanol...without that, it would eat the wall which is not a good thing. Read up on it on wikipedia (more info on it then you could ever want).

Last edited by a moderator:
You do not gain MPG using E85, Some times the MPG is worse......

I average 18-20 city MPG and 24+ highway... And thats on NY gas...

The ST is driving habit sensitive, even taking off slightly faster will kill your MPG..

The E gas does attack aluminum parts so if there are any aluminum parts in the fuel system it will deteriorate it faster...

Todd Z

E-85 takes more energy to manufacture than it delivers. Most of the energy is in the form of diesel for the tractors and natural gas/oil for the electrical powerplant.

When you burn E-85, you are actually increasing our country's dependence on foreign oil.

Automakers also benefit from E-85 by all the exemptions to EPA fleet mileage requirements that E-85 vehicles give them, despite the fact that most E-85 vehicles will never run E-85.

I am generally a conservative republican, but I am also very aware that E-85 is nothing more than a government subsidy to the oil industry, investors in E-85 plants, and to the corn grower's associations.

Did you use one of those kits to convert to E-85 like Michelle talked about a while back? I think hers was from www.abcesso.com.

Jim, is E-85 easy to find in Iowa? What is the cost per gallon?

It's hard to find here in Michigan. Since E-85 burns quicker than regular gasoline, I was told to not even consider it unless it gets to be 40 cents per gallon cheaper than regular gas.

The Cost of E85 here in my City is $1.75 Really not too worried about the Cost right now because we need to start somewhere. There are many more Ethanol Plants planned in the very near future here in Iowa and yes it does help the Corn Growers association. I don't have a problem giving the patriotic farmers a hand. At least they are not a foreign country. The E-85 was everywhere in Minisota. You would think that here in Iowa it would be the same, however it is still very slim pickings as far as Gas stations that handle the fuel.

BTW the power is very good.

Jim Fennern

True Gavin, however the big benefit is a very clean tailpipe. Using it also peaks interest in using E85 and fostering investments in new methods of manufature that someday will make it cost effective. Corn E85 is costly to make, but using willow and sawgrass (among others) technologies will eventually mature and we'll all be ahead.. We can't get it here in upstate NY... although they're building two plants up here... One of them used to be a Miller brewery...

I've asked before and a few monthes ago. I was actually informed by Wyane/HIA and Doug/Bamachips.

There is no current tune for E85.

But I would bet that that would really help the results from the 100-105 Octane. Currently is runs bad it, it burns bad, and it costs just a little more to run, compaired to mileage/cost of 87.

I'd love to try it out.

;)

I've been burning E85 exclusively for the last 8 months untill my last tankful. It has been running $.50 less a gallon than 87 octane untill just recently. Now it is only $.30 less than gas so I'm back to gas. In the begining it was more costly to make but I hear that is no longer the case. My Trac gets 11.5 MPG with E85 and 14 MPG with gas. That is for city driving. E85 really seems to give the Trac more pep.

try the e-10 blend.any car can burn it. if you can't find e-10 blend your own. 11.3%e-85 and 88.7% reg no-lead you will get bette fuel mileage. oh yea the octane will be 93. edj.