E85 and the Trac

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Davis

Reaction score
Does anybody know if E85 gas is safe for my ST? My local station replaced their premium gas for E85. and there is a bog sticker on the pump that says "Make sure it is safe for your engine to put E85 in your tank" or somehting like that. The owner says E85 has an octane of between 105-110.

Thanks

Joe,

your 2001 is not E85 Ready, DO not use it...

Todd Z

I believe the only years that are safe is 04 and up. On my 04, theres a sticker on the inside of the gas door that says, its E85 usable. I've heard with vehicles that aren't E85 usable, that certain things will be destroyed. Now, I've also heard that one can do like a 50/50 of E85/regular gas. But anyway, even if your vehicle is good to run E85. Its not worth it in the long run. Being its high octane you will get less MPG by at least 4-5. And even though it might be cheaper to buy, in the long run. You'll be spending more money for it than you would for regular gas b/c you burn more of it faster.

Most stations I've seen around here, have been doing the mix of E85 and regular gas. They say at the pump there might be 10% of E mixed in. With just a little of E mixed in, it still cuts down on MPG. Be best to shop around for regular gas with no E mix in. Just from past experience. Can get way better MPG with regular gas compared to any other combo.

Up here in ND they use Ethanol (10%) in mid-grade gasoline. Is this safe for the 4.0? Ive been using for about a month now since Ive moved here and havent noticed any problems. Everyone up here is pumping the mid grade 89.5 octane gas.

ND..10% ethanol wont hurt. They are using it all over the country, to replace other addittives that have been eliminated. Anything higher than 10% is too corrosive for none E85 fuel systems..

I was under the impression that the '07 4.6 V8 was not E85 compatible. Also, as has been stated above, it sounds like you don't actually save money in the long haul. Cheaper per gallon but poorer gas mileage - kind of a wash. The only good thing is you are using a domestically produced renewable fuel source.

The 07 Sport Trac owners manual states, "Use only UNLEADED fuel or UNLEADED fuel blended with a maximum of 10% ethyl acohol. Your vehicle was not designed to run on E85 fuels that are blended with a maximum of 85% ethyl alcohol." Later on the page it goes on to say, "Repairs to correct the effects of using a fuel for which your vehicle was not designed may not be covered by your warranty."

From this I get the impression that both the V6 and V8 2007 STs are not designed for E85.

Edit: spelling

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts