E85 conversion (I did it) Flex-Tek

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michelle,

The article you posted earlier:

http://www.westbioenergy.org/reports/55032/55032final.htm

Talked about the negative effects on the fuel system. Did you also do what they did?

The main problem associated with the conversion of an engine from gasoline to E85 operation is the corrosive nature of ethanol. Common materials such as many plastics, steel, and aluminum can be corroded by ethanol and require corrosion inhibitors to provide a protective shield from the ethanol. In addition, many elastomers (e.g., O-rings and hoses) tend to swell and lose tensile strength over time when in contact with ethanol. Since these materials are common in automotive applications, especially fuel systems, many components in the fuel system require replacement [Wicker, et al, 1999].

Fuel system components on the 1999 Chevrolet Silverado that were replaced or modified for E85 include the fuel pump, rubber fuel hose, fuel rail assembly, fuel injectors, and all rubber seals (O-rings) [Hutchison, et al, 1999]. GM helped identify the components that were ethanol compatible and those that required replacement or modification.

If so, about how much did this run? There is a E85 supplier in Birmingham, about 45 minutes from where I live that sells the Ethanol in 50 gallon drums for .94 per gallon, minimum 100 gallons buy at a time. If the cost is reasonable to replace the fuel system components, I would look into converting my ST.

What's your thoughts?

Ron

Ron, where at? I got to B'ham like every other month, I could definitely pick up a few hundred gallons and tow them back down at that price, if it's safe.

If you go to the www.e85fuel.com website,

click: For Suppliers - then-

click: Marketing - then -

click: E85 Retail and Private Facilities

The company is the first in the list. I was gonna post the link but for some reason it's not pulling up (I am on my computer at work).

Wanna go in together and sell the stuff??

Ron

Last edited by a moderator:
Same here, it gave me an entire list of all 50 states/suppliers around 1:30pm Central time today.

Maybe the site is doing a update??

Ron