e85 fuel

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Lewis

Reaction score
Hey has anyone used the E85 ethonal gas in the 04 sporties? I have found a station and my VIN number says that I can use this fuel, but I am unsure. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

I have an '04 ST and have been using E85 for quite some time. All 04-05 ST's are Flex-Fuel Vehicles.

Just be aware that you'll notice a drop in MPG. You won't get as good of MPG with E85 as with regular gas.

You don't have to look at the VIN. Just look at the sticker on the inside of the gas cap, or the emissions sticker under the hood. Those will tell you if you have a Flex-Fuel engine.

But, if I'm not mistaken, this wasn't offered on ST's until 2003, and then not all were Flex-Fuel. Beginning in 2004, every '04-05 Gen I Sport Trac was equipped with a Flex-Fuel engine.

Thanks TrainTrac. I actually looked at the manual. It states "When checking the VIN, look for the engine type identifier (8th character). If your vehicle is an FFV, then the character will be labeled as a “K.” Mine is a "E". It's a no go for me.

You're welcome.

And welcome aboard! You'll find this site very addictive and hazardous to your bank account!;)

Yeah !!! My mpg dropped pretty bad. With regular gas I get 18-19 mpg. And with the E85 I got 12-14 mpg. I think a little went to driving style because the E85 is 105 octane which I think gave it a little more power and it was more responsive. So I was pushing the gas a little harder. I dont know ; more power could have just been in my head. But the trac seemed to purrrr a little better.

I reposted this and thanks. The national website for e85 estimates that we should get the same mileage out this type of gas. (18 mpg). Is this wrong. Since I have to drive 20 miles to get work (one way) I couldn't stand that type of mileage loss.

It's wrong... at least according to an 04 window sticker. It states mileage for both regular fuel & e85, with the 85 being several mpg less.

IMO I don't see the benefit. Sure it's cheaper, but mileage suffers so it's a wash.

They don't sell E85 where I live anyway. You get an extra tax deduction for having a flex fuel vehicle. I don't know if you get it every year or just the year you buy it though. I took the deduction for 2005. My accountant just took my stuff on Tuesday so I don't know yet if I get it for last year.