Easy way to dress up you engine

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Griffith 2

Reaction score
Hello all,

I added a little touch to my engine dress up with a cheap, easy way to add some detail. I bought a Sharpie paint pen (Metallic silver) and took the throttle body cover off. (Three bolts , two at the bottom, one at the top) Paint the letters, let it dry, and check it out. Ver simple but it really made the letters stick out. Dont worry about messing up to much... The letters are raised above so it makes them easy to paint to the edges. Good luck all and keep on trackin'! Sorry, couldn't figure out how to make the pictures any smaller. [Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good But PICS WAY TOO BIG !!!!!!!

Todd Z

Been thinking of doing the same to mine. was just wondering of the dexterity of the stuff though. I guess for the price of the pen, it's still cheaper than buying paint to do it. Looks good. May be my next project when I'm bored.;)

I used plastic model paint that comes in a pen from Testors...I did mine about 2 1/2 years ago and haven't had the need to retouch it. That's including being sprayed on with engine degreaser and high pressure water at the car wash every so often. I also used the same paint to paint the white letters on the tires, it's lasts for a while but then fades/scratches off the rubber....but looks cool all color matched to the ST.

Happy New Year .........

I'm doing it. Great idea. looks good...but Damn!!! are those pics LIFE sized?...I had to step back all the way to my next door neighbor's yard to look at them!:lol:

I painted mine to match my body color with custom paint from etouchup.com. And then I applied custom chrome letter decals from member/sponsor Seattle Sport Trac. Between the TB cover and the MAC intake, it really dresses up the engine compartment.

[Broken External Image]:

Nice David but you really need a program to reduce the size of your pics. Checked your library and you have used 2/3 of the space allowed with just 3 pictures. Myself, I have DSLand don't have a problem viewing them but someone that might still have dial-up would have to wait hours to get them to come up.

Boodro,

I used a regular paint. I used Duplicolor adhesion promoter primer, then painted it with the stuff I got from etouchup.com

Hey Tom,

What is the program I need to reduce the file size? I really am sorry about the picture size ya'll. By the way, TrainTrac your engine does look great.

Here is a file to resize your pics. Once installed, simply right click on the details, (not the picture itself but the name of the picture in the file or list) and choose resize. Does all the work for you.

Another way to resize photos - let Windows do it. It may depend on what mail program you use but if you right click on a photo (or you can choose multiple) and then go to Send To > Mail Recipient - Windows will ask if you want to resize, choose Make my pictures smaller and it will then attach them to an email. Send it to yourself and then you can save it and do what you want with it.

This works good with Outlook Express & Outlook, I cannot answer for other apps and online webmail.

Sounds like a lot of steps but if you are looking to email the photo and not post it somewhere it is a timesaver.