EDIT:: GOT OUR PLASMA TV

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently purchased a Sharp Aquos LCD 52" TV... After shopping around for almost a month I felt this was the best TV for me all around, and I love it every time I see it ;) SD, HD, PC, XBOX, DVD, HDTV all look sweet... however it was 4k CAD.

I have a 32" Sony Bravia LCD that ROCKS! I paid a little more for it than what I could have gotten in other brands, but the features, appearance, and picture/sound quality are excellent! I'm running it at 1080i from the Dish HD converter, and have been very happy.

(I chose it for the features. Wife approved because of the black frame and nice appearance!) We have it in the den by the kitchen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a projector that creates a 100" picture on a white wall [flat paint]. No need for screen. First time wife saw it she said "it's just like being at the movies". Use s-video input for sat.TV and HDMI input from DVD player. Projector, 5-disc Sony DVD player and 6.1 surround sound system less than $1,500 total. Looks and sounds spectacular.

Bill-E, nice setup, but I suspect not true HD given the native capabilities of the projector. It's a great setup for DVD and regular sat TV though.

I only mention because LaRue didn't specifically say if he would be running in HD, but I did assume that. I wouldn't run any 40+" LCD or Plasma from anything else but a HD source...it just doesn't make sense. It's like buying a Lambo and putting 87 octane in her...all that money for hardware and putting in the cheap stuff and getting out bad results.

TJR

LaRue, I bought my 42 JVC LCD from the Shaw BX in December and love it. TimeWarner is starting to offer more HD channels too so that makes it even better. As mentioned by others, seriously take into consideration the lighting in the room the TV will be in. My LCD looks great no matter but the plasma looks weird during the day if there is too much light in the room. My neighbor has a Plasma and he keeps all the blinds drawn in his living room because the light messes with the picture too much. However I can keep my blinds fully open and still see a great picture with no problems. I guess you could say I am partial to the LCD.

TJR, you are right about resolution....but, I won't pay extra for HD sat TV and common DVD players are not HD. So, for now, until HD TV is free and HD DVD players are cheap, 780i is all I need because that's the signal going in to the projector. What I can tell you though is the full digital, never converted HDMI signal from the DVD player to the projector provides a picture quality that is probably better than what you would get from an HD receiver being fed s-video or component video from a standard DVD player. You really can't believe how good it is until you see. I purposely bought a DVD player with HDMI output for just that reason.

I agree Bill-E. I really don't see how my regular DVD player, combined with my plasma could be any more clear. It's connected via standard A/V cables. I won't pay for HD. The DirecTV signal is also good enough quality for me not to pay extra. I looked into the projection units but we live in military housing and don't have much wall space. Maybe when we build our home and I can use a wall in the basement where my entertainment room will be.

Bill-E, that's HDMI for you...all digital is simply the best you can do.

I think you and I are in agreement...if paying for the big bucks for HD capable equipment make sure you are going to be watching HD signals. If you don't have the HD sources then simply save the money.

But once you DO have some HD sources and you have the right equipment you will NEVER go back. I pretty much don't watch TV anymore unless it is HD...and that's on a 7 year old rear-projection Mitsu.

TJR

Well we bought this tv today. Even got a better deal at the BX than we thought. This thing is awesome. The colors are un-real. AND on Thursday, we are getting our HDTV/DVR receiver from directv. Boy, I can't wait....

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to hear how you like the HD/DVR box after you get it... I recently had to give up my dual tuner DirecTV/Tivo DVR and get the new DirecTV DVR due to a bad satellite input on the Tivo. I miss my Tivo so much! I've had a few software glitches with the new box, and I've heard the HD DVR's have had their fair share as well. I recently got a 50" Samsung plasma and would like to have the HD signal to it, although my Sony receiver upconverts to HDMI and helps a bit.

Latest posts