Edmunds Review of '07 ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Corning

Reaction score
I just finished reading the Edmunds.com review of the '07 ST. As someone who strongly prefers to buy American, I don't know why I punish myself by reading Edmunds reviews! "If it's not Asian made, it's not worth considering" should be the first line of every review. As with most car reviews, some parts should be seen as facts, and others as simply opinions. This one fits that category perfectly. The strongest impression I had after driving the '07 was how nice it was to drive, the quiet interior and how it was a significant upgrade over the previous generation. This was in the Edmunds review, but almost as an afterthought. I thought the power of the '07 was very good. Is it as fast as my supercharged Grand Prix? No, but that's not the ST's purpose. Some of the critical comments were right on (the door handle design, for example), but the whole theme seemed to be "buy the Honda, Nissan, or Toyota." Ford may not be the best car company out there, but they do know how do make trucks. I considered those other trucks, but I just like the ST. That's good enough for me.

I considered them too, well, except the honda, when I bought my Ranger. And then again when I bought the ST. I've had Subarus for years so I can't be called a Mountain Dew drinking, American only, closed minded, redneck. (for this case anyway) :D

I don't care for Toyota, but I did test drive one before each purchase. Each time, I felt like I was driving a truck made of styrofoam. Had that not been the case, I might have bought one. Everything felt too lightweight and cheap (Tacoma). JMO.

The 4 door Nissan (whatever it's called) had squat for rear seat room, head and foot. Getting in the rear door was like sliding into the back of an extended cab. I also don't care too much for the robotic/avalanche/plastic junk fake bolted everywhere look. JMO.

I usually don't analyze things like small MPG differences and acceleration down to within tenths, so I get what I like, no matter what Edmunds or any other whoever sponsored rag says.

If I had to buy a truck, I would go for either F150 or Toyota Tundra.

But if I wanted more of a truck/suv hybrid, i would say that the ST or the Ridgeline are the better choices.. For me, I dont need a long bed, and I really care more about a nice back seat. That is why I am looking at the ST. I could get a F150 really cheap using the x-plan, but I dont want soemthing taht big.

I'm with you on that, Crash. I never cared for Edmund's auto reviews anyway. But when I buy ny next ST I will be just as enthused as I was about my present 01 ST. I see that they hurry up and rate the imports much higher than any domestic make, be it Ford, GMC, or (then) Chrylser. I go by what turns me on, and none of those "other Trucks" do anything for me, stylewise especially. I just wished that Ford would step it up a bit and listen to its base consumers and get out front with an upgraded warranty (50,000 K Ford Warranty as a basic factory) and come out swinging. They have gotten past the Firestone/Explorer debacle, so they should be swinging for the fences as part of their "Way Forward" progarm and take back their share of the automobile market. JMO!

I love my Nissan Frontier. Its S/C for that little bit of extra get up and go. Also good for hauling heavy loads since the 3.3L isnt too powerful on its own. Love the long bed as it can haul bigger stuff than the ST and is also cheaper than the ST was. Also had a better Rockford Fostgate audio system in it (6disc head unit, 4 7" componant speakers, 8" ported sub in the rear and 2 tweeters) plus gets better gas milage than the ST with the S/C. But I do love my ST tho don't get me wrong I just needed something with 4X4 since the ST is 2X4.

Maybe it's not Edmund's fault, maybe they hold their reviewed vehicles to a higher standard that many of us do. We put up with a lot from the domestics that seemingly are taken for granted in some of the imports (better ride, better handling, quieter ride, higher quality)....again, it all comes down to opinions...and our baises color those opinions.

TJR

Why in the article does it say that the tonneau cover is $695 when FORD offers it for something like $1,000?

The Sport Trac's bed extender is a $195 option that increases the functionality of the 49-inch cargo box. The hard tonneau cover ($695) folds in the center to access either the front or rear of the bed. (Photo by Josh Jacquot)

So why are the 01-05 tonneau covers still $895.00 then?

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO...if it's not a Ford, it's not a truck. Chevy's are ugly boxy weak POS's. Dodge trucks look like a Kirby vaccuum cleaner from the front. The Jap trucks are built around a really good quality engine but...well that's all I can think of thats positive about them. (although based on looks only, Nissan pick-ups are decent enough I guess)...and don't even get me started on that Ridgeline thing...again these are only my opinions so don't crucify me :) I think that if you compare trucks dollar for dollar, feature for feature, and standard vs optional equipment, you'll end up driving a Ford.

PS... I LOVE MY TRAC!!!:wub::wub::wub:

Last edited by a moderator: