EGR valve/assembly servicing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowell Salud

Reaction score
Aloha ST World,

I need info on how I can service the EGR valve/assembly on my '01 ST 4.0 SOHC. I cleaned the internals of the throttlebody's including butterfly and linkages with intake cleaner. Next step, I want to clean the internal section of the EGR valve tube that's behind the throat of the throttlebody. What do I do next?? Do I need to take EGR assembly apart to clean it ??...........

Your input is "Greatly Appreciated!!"

Aloha & Mahalo!!!

L.S.:)

Yes, you have to remove the EGR valve top clean it, And clean the EGR tubes as well...Also clean the IAC passages, and clean the IAC motor also...

The truck running poorly???

Todd Z

Yes Todd Z,

At idle, sometimes there is an intermittant engine sputter(especially from the intake side). Feels like the engine is going to die out until you open up throttle abit. I checked up on all vacume hoses, all looks good. Maybe I have to adjust throttle position??? I'll try to clean out EGR tubes first.

Thanks!!!

L.S.

Project X,

While it could be the EGR valve, the DPFE sensor should be able to detect too much or too little EGR and cause the Check Engine Light to come on. Of course, cleaning will not hurt.

Since you already cleaned the IAC and Throttle Body, You might want to look for a vacuum leak. you may have just a small enough one to upset the idle but not big enough to cause a lean condition error code. You may also need to adjust the TPS it might be off by a hair.

...Rich

I would not adjust the throttle position, as it doesn't usually adjust itself. The thing to change is whatever's wrong. Patience and persistence.