EGR Valve replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Yee

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Does anyone know how hard it is to replace the EGR Valve? and cost of the part? can this be done by a regular joe?

I was thinking of replacing this part.. as mentioned by Todd Z in hopes that it will fix my stalling in reverse problem before I take it into the Transmission shop tomorrow morning!

You can test the EGR before you replace it, Don't get into the habit of just swapping out parts....

Todd Z

Adam,,

With the truck running, find your self a piece of small vacuum line....

Remove the rubber elbow on the egr valve and plug it with your finger....

Then put the small vacuum line on the egr valve and either suck on the line or use a vacuum pump and apply vacuum, the truck should idle bad and or stall....

if not the diaphragm could be bad in the egr... Do the test a couple of times in a row and listen to the egr valve seat it self, it will make a slight noise... that says the seat is good...

The vacuum line your holding should have some suction on it once the truck is warm, you could slightly rev the engine with your finger over the hose to confirm there is vacuum..

Todd Z

Thanks Todd...

I'll check that out after work today.. would the EGR valve affect the other gears as well tho? I'm just wondering if the EGR valve only affects the Reverse gear which is my problem at the moment....

Do you think disconnecting the battery and resetting everything might work?

I don't know if the ST uses EGR in reverse, Have to look into that one...

I allways recommend the battery reset first, Kinda like re booting windows, IT almost works every time..

Todd Z

Latest posts