Electric Log splitters??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Taylor

Reaction score
Hi:

I'm in the market for a small log splitter. I've used gas ones in the past, and most have worked fine. However, I'm now considering an electric one, as I split about 4 full cords a year. The cost, hassle and storage of a gas one is a problem, but how well do the electric ones really work?

Anyone here heat with wood?

Thanks

Chris

heated with wood and pellets for 23 yrs up until 5 yrs ago,split most of mine with wedges and mauls.took all summer in my spare time to do 4 full cords.

borrowed an electric from a friend,had my doubts but it worked darn fine,no issues.tho pretty slow.just gave my gas splitter to a friend,no use for it anymore.

although my parents have wood delivered every year, we purchased my Dad an electric splitter for him to make "smaller stuff" when he needed. It would take some time to do 4 cords though. Gas/hydraulic was not an option, he took fingers off last time he used one. This one requires a two hand operation, so the hand wont be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Good luck~

Sondra

When I lived in the Upper Peninsula of MI we used to burn about 6-7 cords of wood a year. All of the wood we burned was Piss Elm and there is no way I could imagine using an electric wood splitter on any of that. The splitter we had you towed behind your truck, had a 10 hp kohler motor on it and required 2 people to run...I do not miss those days

All of the wood we burned was Piss Elm and there is no way I could imagine using an electric wood splitter on any of that.

I agree that the electrics could not handle those stringy elm logs! They are nearly impossible to split at any time! :grin: :banghead: I'm looking at oak, maple and a LOT of ash.

I had a line on a very old gas splitter for about the same price as an electric, but for the reasons I mentioned, I passed on it (and the fact that it WAS well used).

I used to burn 4-5 cord per year in my LOPI wood stove. Gave it up about 10 years ago and really don't miss all the funn. Cut 6 pretty good sized trees down about 6 years ago and rented a big tow behind splitter for a couple days. I liked the renting deal myself. Rental, buying a gas or electric splitter is better than a maul & wedges for all but the young at heart IMO!

'07 ST:eek:nline:

I bought a electric 4 ton for my father and for a lightduty machine we've had 0 issues with this 7 year old first generation 4ton electric and would recommend anyone to try one. Little thing is absolutely amazing. True that the stroke operation is slower than a larger gas hyd splitter but I've had it running continuously for 5 hrs at a time without overheating issues. I built a stand to bring it up to workable height. 4 cords might seem alittle daughting for an little electric, I can split 1.5-2 cords in two mornings depending on the type of wood. I've split some pretty nasty wet elm, It may have taken 3 or 4 trys (depending on the diameter) to find the sweet spot but most have split.

I'd rent gas before I buy electric.

Also, consider some buy vs rent advice:

a. If it appreciates then buy it, if it depreciates then rent.

b. If you use it all the time then buy, if it use it occasionally then rent it.

c. If it costs a little to own then buy it, if it costs a lot to own then rent it.

...of course, these are not absolutisms... YMMV.

TJR

If your out of shape and overwgt,buy a maul,a sledge, and two large wedges.

spend all summer splitting it,if green it is a cakewalk.

I was wondering what was going to happen when the wheel stopped spinning! :grin: :banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:
Or half the split log falls behind the rotating tire. Ooops!

Well, I got another rick cord today from a neighbors ice damaged tree, and I'm still looking for a splitter. With the amount I usually have to split in a year, and the cost of renting one around here, I could pay for a new one($1000) in about 5 years. Still considering an electric, but if a nice used gas one came along, it would be tempting too.

Yup, in this part of the country, it's either called a rick or a face cord. 18"W x 4'H x 8'L.

I've also heard the face cord called a fireplace cord. And, of course, it's also sold by the full pickup load(whatever that is...), and I've also heard of a peck cord(no idea what that is!).

A full cord around here is 4'W x 4'H x 8'L.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts