Electrical Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Waite

Reaction score
I have the dreaded Ford Gremlin running around in my electrical and need some help. My left turn signal blinks twice the normal rate, the front light blinks fast but the back does not blink at all. The right side is fine. If I turn off the ignition and turn it back on it works fine until I get on the road it starts blinking fast again. Also from time to time, my emergency brake light indicator on the dash does not go out when I release the brake. I checked all the fuses in the cab and replaced the tail light bulbs but its still not working properly HELP

For the E-brake light. Check the switch, it may be sticking.

Check for loose wires or bad contacts. Start from the back and work your way forward. I would not take apart your dash if you don't have to. Test lights work good for this sort of thing. If I read your post right you already replaced the bulb correct? If you did you can at least rule that out. But check the bulb socket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be the whole wiring harness in the steering wheel. Move the tilt steering down some and see if that helps.

Tilt the steering wheel in the FULL up position and re check...

There is a common issue with the wiring in there..

Todd Z

I will try the "Tilt the steering wheel in the FULL up position" sice I do move it down to drive.

Roger, I did not replace the front turn bulbs since that was the one working.

The bulb sockets seem to be ok. After I replace the back bulbs it worked fine.

Thanks for the help.

The same thing is happening to my truck. Tilting the steering column corrected it for a while but no longer. Is there an easy way to get to the wiring harness without removing the steering wheel?

Trmasonltd, the connector is in the lower part of the steering column, below the dashboard. It has 14 wires going through it and should be gray in color.

I found the cause of the fast left blinker issue.

Remove the 3 screws from the under side of the steering column cover, then take off the upper cover. This is a little tricky but if you engage the parking brake, with the engine shut off, you can move the gearshift to the neutral position, pry the lower portion of the upper cover out, and remove.

Now, as you are looking down at the top of the column you will see a blue & white striped wire on the left side. With the ignition in the "Run" position, turn on the left turn signal. If you pull the wire out (toward the engine) the signal will run fast, push it back & problem solved. The wires seem to creep down the column over time and pull on this connection apart. I grabbed the wire & pulled it towards me to give it a little more slack & also put a little silicone into the connector to keep it tight. So far it hasn't had a problem.

Good Luck!!

Tim

Latest posts