emergency brake

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Lovelace

Reaction score
My Sport Trac has been sitting in my driveway for two weeks with the emergency brake locked. I have been all over the web trying to find out how to fix it. I am (was) a mechanic in the days of the Muscle Cars, but this one has me baffled. It is a 2002 with Drum brakes on the rear. I have jacked it up, removed the wheel, but don't know where to start. I can't afford to hire a mobile mechanic. I thought some of you might be able to help me figure out where to start. Thank You.:banghead:

On the back bottom of the backing plate is a hole ( May have a rubber plug in it) is the adjuster hole.

In there is a star wheel. Using a brake spoon or good screwdriver you can spin the wheel to loosen the pads hopefully.....

If not a large Big Effing hammer and beat that sucker off there. Replace the shoes, springs, hard wear and drums.

Todd Z

Try looking up a 97 Ford Ranger or any Ford rear drum brake stuck. If it comes down to it, you could hacksaw the front cable along the frame or go the easier way and use an angle grinder to cut the cable. Never use the parking brake on my 2003, its a small drum brake inside the rear wheel disc brake assembly on mine.

Good Luck, Dave :driving:

Latest posts