Engine Needs Replaced!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelson Atwell

Reaction score
My car got worse on the commute to work this morning. I took it to the local Mazda repair shop and the opened the engine and found pieces of metal and shavings throughout. The engine is toast and can't be rebuilt. A new engine needs to be shipped from the US.

This car is such a PITA to own in Europe. Tom (Caymen) is right. This Mazda is definitely a Ford Focus with a different skin! :angry:

This Mazda is definitely a Ford Focus with a different skin! :angry:

That does stink, But

No offense,

But if you ran it low on oil you cant be mad at any manufacturer..

Maybe the place that changed the oil did not fill it all the way ????

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
The Mazda place said they have seen this before. The engine fails and throws the oil out the tailpipe. No way it could lose over 3 quarts of oil between oil changes. I do occasionally check the oil, and the last time it was spot on where it should be. I go to Lithuania and back 20 hours round-trip with no issues and then the engine fails five days after returning.

This engine never missed, ran rough or lost performance. No puddle of oil on the ground. No dashboard indicators ever came on -- not even a check engine light. As far as the computer is concerned, everything is still working perfectly -- even now. There was no indication of a problem before the clattering began. :blink:

Sorry to hear of your issue, things like this are NEVER fun. Even more so when your not in the USA where things are a bit easier to manage..

If you need or want an engine location, let me know...

Wow Nelson, two trac issues now this one... is it bicycle time yet? I'm really sorry you have to deal with this while over seas or any time or place! Wonder how long it takes to get a new engine over there? There is a Mazda dealer there? Are their engines and fluid specs the same for an American engine? or are their engines and specs etc, different? Just curious.

Good luck to you!

Tom (Caymen) is right. This Mazda is definitely a Ford Focus with a different skin!

You car was built in Japan. They build the best there is.

Wonder if you got a Focus, you may not be having this problem. Maybe this is why Ford dumped the 2.3L engine in the Focus.

Tom

If they have seen it before that stinks.

If it is a warranty coverage, would they supply you with a loaner car ???

Todd Z

I just got off the phone with Mazda customer service. MazdaUSA will not warrant a car outside the US or Canada. If I want warranty repairs, I have to bring the car back to the US. Let this be a warning to anyone who is in the military and ships a Mazda overseas.

I will ship the vehicle back to the bank in the US and let them deal with it. I won't continue paying for this POS. :angry:

Goodness! WOW! You would think they could help military personell out. ....somehow I would think some solution could be come to...after all do they not have dealerships there where you are?

Yes, there are dealerships, but this engine is not sold in Europe. The emissions in Europe are different and the 2.3L engine isn't offered in Mazdas here, except in a turbocharged version.

oh my!

Nelson, email them...and take it to the top...I would think there is something they could do to help a military person that is over seas with their product....... take it to the top, with Mazda, it is not like you can drop everything and take your car back to the US... I would think...they can come up with a better solution. never say never..somebody there might surprise you. :)

Even if they would fix it, the new engine will take a month or longer to get here, since it would be shipped by boat, have to clear customs, be installed, etc. In the meantime, I live 10 miles outside the city with no way to get to work. I am sure they won't pay for a rental for that amount of time. I don't see any options. The only option is to get another car.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's too bad Nelson really! So it looks like you will have to do it as you said and get another car....

but..is there any chance your brother could help you, with getting your car back into the states in his possession, If he had it he could take it on your behalf to get it fixed under warranty, and at least you would be able to sell it, when you got back into the states.

My assignment was extended two additional years last week, at my request. I won't leave until 2011. Due to my work schedule and Dorothy's school schedule, the earliest i will be in the US is December.

So whatcha thinking, Buy a car over there ?????

Todd Z