engine oil leak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G M

Reaction score
My ST '03 has its first oil leak after 98,000 not sure where it's coming from, I had it checked out and they said it was the front seal. Has anyone else had this problem with their ST? and where was the oil leak ?

Thanks

Freinds of mine that have the 4.0's in their Explorers have had the Rear main seal go on them. I haven't heard of the front seal going out.

The front seal is behind the crankshaft pulley. You will need to remove the fan shroud and serpentine belt. Then remove the crankshaft pulley using a pulley puller. Pry out the old seal and install a new one.

If it is the front. Make sure you tell the parts house you dont want the factory seal. You may have a worn spot on the crank. There are replacement seals, that move the location of the rubber slightly. To a new spot on the crank.

I can't promise that it will work, but if you want, try Auto-RX before you take it apart if you want to gamble about $27. It worked on the Chevy van I used to have.

Latest posts