@$%&*# Engine Problems!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
So I start off for work this morning, and get to the first stop sign out of my neighborhood. All of a sudden, the ST starts idling very rough, shaking the whole truck. CEL also starts flashing. I take off from the stop, and the flashing CEL disappears. The truck runs roughly all the way into town, and the flashing CEL comes and goes intermittently. I stop at Advance Auto on the way into work to have them read the code. The engine is shaking at idle, it's running so rough. Anyway, the code turns out to be P305, "Cylinder 5 misfiring". :angry:

Now, up to this point, the truck hadn't been idling as smoothly as it should, but not anything serious. I figured that at 77,700 miles, it was just in need of plugs/wires, and I was just waiting until payday (ironic that the problem escalated today!) to order a set of Livewires from Zabteck. I'm still hoping that this problem is still just the plugs and wires, and a new set will fix it.

Any thoughts?:huh:

Since the rough idle was gradual, it could be that it is time. Maybe that's all you will need is the replacements you bought. Keeping fingers crossed for ya! XXXXX

The ECU gremlin goes away after you shut off the engine and restart the truck..

IT was a common ST thing... you start the truck, it runs rough, blows black smoke and once you shut it off it goes away..

Also NEVER drive the truck if you feel something... ALWAYS shut off the truck and re start to see if the problem persits,...

FIRST... I would check the #5 spark plug wire to make sure it just did not come off, or rub through on something...

Second would be to pull the plug and check it to make sure it is not worn down or shot..

If you cant find it, Then check the plug on that cylinders injector to make sure it is on..

You can allways use an old wire to test it and so on..

I will gladly sell you wires, But I would find out if that is the problem first..

Todd Z

its a mythical creature....

they are supposed to like electrical stuff and mess them up...

theres a commercial out that has them in it...an insurance commercial where they knock over a dudes bike and do something to a car i believe...

its something ppl blame things on when they are unsure whats wrong

Todd Z,

Thanks for the advice, I'll check out those things ASAP. I was planning on ordering the Livewires today anyway, regardless of this problem arising. In fact, I'd already placed the order with George this morning when the problem surfaced.

And thanks to everyone else for the most helpful, invaluable advice regarding the gremlins!:) I knew I could count on this sites' members for help!:lol:

Well, I went out at lunch and did a quick visual inspection. No disconnected wires, rubbing, or other wear was evident on the wires. I picked up a set of Autolite AP103 plugs at Wal-Mart, and I'll see if that cures the problem. If not, I'll have to wait 'til the Livewires arrive from Zabteck.

I would bet money it is the plugs and/or wires.

Not a problem with Ford quality, it is just that the plugs need replaced because they are at the end of thier useful service life.

Tom

I replaced the plugs today with the AP103's, and it's still idling rough. The flashing CEL came back also. So I guess I'll have to wait 'til the Livewires arrive to see if that cures the problem.

Or, I may go to Autozone and pick up a pair of cheap wires, try one on the #5 plug to see if it cures the problem, then return them once the Livewires arrive.

And for the record, Tom, I wasn't slamming Ford quality, I was just aggravated that this occurred a couple of days before I was planning on ordering the wires and replacing the plugs anyway. D'oh!:angry: I've never owned a Toyota in my life!:lol:

Actually, switch the leads from a cylinder next to that cylinder and do the same at the coil. If the code changes, you know the wire is bad.

Good luck with the Autolite plugs. I would have never installed them myself. Not that they are a bad plug, but...

Tom

What are you inferring about the Autolite plugs? I believe that they and Motorcraft plugs are identical; both are made by the same manufacturer. The Autolite AP103's and the OEM Motorcraft plugs that I removed looked exactly alike.

I am not saying they are bad, but they are not Motorcraft. Maybe Autolite makes the Motorcraft plugs, but I am not taking any chances.

If it doesn't say Motorcraft, it will not go in any of my Fords unless the manual says different. That is just me though. Your results may vary.

Tom

Well, replacing the plugs and swapping wires didn't cure the problem. I pulled the Screamin' Demon coil pack and put the OEM on back on the ST, and the problem disappeared, at least while idling in the garage. I'm about to go for a test drive to see if it's gone altogether.

Has anyone else had any problems with the SD coil pack?

Zabteck team: Does PD warranty this product? Or am I SOL? I really like the performance and mpg gains resulting from the SD coil pack, but I'm almost reluctant to buy another one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I orignally purchased the coil pack from a former site sponsor, Underdog Performance back in July 2007. At the time I purchased the pack, he was the only sponsor selling them.

I just received an e-mail from Wayne at Underdog Performance informing me that the coil pack was out of warranty, but that he would replace it if I shipped the faulty one to him. Even though he's no longer a sponsor of this site, Kudos to Wayne for great customer service and standing by his products!:)