engine rpm flaring 2nd to 3rd

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vik singh

Reaction score
hi..i jus bought a 2001 sportack with 194,000 km and i find the engine rpms seem to flair up when shifting between 2nd to 3rd...i jus wana no is it my transmsion slipping or could be that it need to be reprogramed...if any one know what going on please message..thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a slip to me.For starters, try a trans fluid additive...slick 50 makes one but there's plenty out there. If that doesn't cure it, change the tranny fluid/filter.That's all I can think of without taking in to the dealer.

This is a common issue,,, there is a new valve body and solenoid pack that the dealer can install....

Todd Z

Common problem with our transmisions...Do a search on this forum and you can learn alot about it, and some pssible cures...You might be able to lift the negtive battery cable for 15 min...let the computer try to relearn your driving style...the system has addaptive learning...

I have an '04 Trac it happens sometimes when Iam soft with the throtle...

I had a mild flare from 2-3(?) develop after a road trip. It occured during mild acceleration from a stop. I don't know if it was from bad tranny wear or if the learning computer got confused because I had begun to drive it very mildly. But I took her in to the dealer right away. They dropped the pan, fixed/replaced a solenoid, and adjusted the EPC valve, under warranty. The flare did not go away so I had the tranny flushed and I haven't experienced it since. Again this was a mild flare going 5-20mph, ~1700 rpms I think it was.

I hope you ment to say is that you flushed your tranny and adjusted the Solenoid.

Am I correct?

Tom

yes tom i did a tranny flash as well along with the adjusment...am thinking about changin my valve body as well does any one no what kinda a valve body is on the 2 wheel drive..?

I was reading up on these trannys and its says it could be a probalem with the valve body gaskit and the epc soilinod....i jus wana find out if there any thing else i need to to to pro long the life of this tranny...but its working good for now.....THANKS

You did a tranny FLUSH, not Flash.

Your Trac does not have a soilnod.

Not making fun of you or anything, but using somewhat of a sentece structure with half ways decent spelling really makes it easier for someone to want to help you out.

Tom