Engine shaking

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oknopa

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
At idle, my engine shake's a lot..see little video, not sure why, still have the 2 constantly codes..P0301 and P0171.

Changed everything, so I am just ignore it.

Attachments

• PXL_20221006_212904427.mp4
    13.5 MB
p0171 = Bank1 Too Lean
p0301 = Cylinder1 MisFire
Considering these TroubleCodes, Cylinder1 Injector may be the culprit?
Check electrical connection on that Injector; loose or broken?
If that's ok, then a bottle of premium FuelSystemCleaner chased with a fillup of high octane gas;
if that doesn't help, then a new Injector.
FuelSystemCleaner is a good thing to do once a year or every 10kMiles in any case.
Can hear your MP4, but no video.

Last edited:
At idle, my engine shake's a lot..see little video, not sure why, still have the 2 constantly codes..P0301 and P0171.

If you have eliminated the ignition (plugs, wires, coil pack) Check the injector oring (cyl#1) and intake seals.
With engine running, spray a blast of carb clean at the port where the injector is pushed into the intake. If there is a change with the idle the o-ring on the injector is leaking. Then spray the carb clean around the mounting surface of the intake (upper and lower). Be careful to keep the spray from getting into the injector seal areas or you could confuse one for the other as leaking if you get a change in idle.

It that doesn’t show any change, check throttle body gasket with the spray.

Then check maf sensor next.

Much easier with a scan tool because you can use the o2 readings and rpm’s to pick up very small leaks that you may not “feel” the change.
You will also be able to check the performance of the o2’s and maf to rule them out or in as the cause.

If you have eliminated the ignition (plugs, wires, coil pack) Check the injector oring (cyl#1) and intake seals.
With engine running, spray a blast of carb clean at the port where the injector is pushed into the intake. If there is a change with the idle the o-ring on the injector is leaking. Then spray the carb clean around the mounting surface of the intake (upper and lower). Be careful to keep the spray from getting into the injector seal areas or you could confuse one for the other as leaking if you get a change in idle.

It that doesn’t show any change, check throttle body gasket with the spray.

Then check maf sensor next.

Much easier with a scan tool because you can use the o2 readings and rpm’s to pick up very small leaks that you may not “feel” the change.
You will also be able to check the performance of the o2’s and maf to rule them out or in as the cause.
Thank you, here are some numbers

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221006-123032.png
    Screenshot_20221006-123032.png
    185.4 KB · Views: 0
p0171 = Bank1 Too Lean
If that's ok, then a bottle of premium FuelSystemCleaner chased with a fillup of high octane gas;
FuelSystemCleaner is a good thing to do once a year or every 10kMiles in any case.

p0171 = Bank1 Too Lean

Attachments

• PXL_20221006_212904427.mp4
    13.5 MB
Yep, sure looks like a cylinder or two not firing.

I believe I said this before on an earlier post you made but you have a bad injector. Your codes say “Lean” and “#1 mis fire” and your data shows the ECM is trying to add more gas by 25%.
To have proper combustion you need Air, Fuel, and Spark. You have air because it does run. You should have spark because you changed plugs and wires. So that leaves fuel and you have not checked the injector to #1 or replaced it. Make sure you get another injector of the same color when you replace it.

I believe I said this before on an earlier post you made but you have a bad injector. Your codes say “Lean” and “#1 mis fire” and your data shows the ECM is trying to add more gas by 25%.
To have proper combustion you need Air, Fuel, and Spark. You have air because it does run. You should have spark because you changed plugs and wires. So that leaves fuel and you have not checked the injector to #1 or replaced it. Make sure you get another injector of the same color when you replace it.
Thank you, here are some numbers
Unfortunately a

what does “changed everything” mean exactly?
Did you change the coil pack?
As PhilFrady has pointed out your long term fuel trim at the moment of the screen shot is high @25%.
But, live data stream is more helpful than a screen shot of a “moment” in time.

Other questions…. Did you use anti seize on the spark plugs? If you get it on the electrode it will cause a misfire. Check to make sure that the plug gap was not closed?

Car Scanner ELM OBD2
DTC report
Selected brand: Ford

============1==============
P0301
Raw code: 0301
ECU: 10
OBDII: Cylinder 1 - misfire detected
Ford: Cylinder #1 Misfire Detected

============2==============
P0171
Raw code: 0171
OBDII: System too lean, bank 1
Ford: System Too Lean (Bank 1)

============3==============
P0401
Raw code: 0401
OBDII: Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system - insufficient flow detected
Ford: EGR Flow Insufficient Detected

That's are the 3 codes I have since couple days,I ordered new EGR valve, new DPFE4 and one new EGR Vacuum Solenoid Valve...

Unfortunately a

what does “changed everything” mean exactly?
Did you change the coil pack?
As PhilFrady has pointed out your long term fuel trim at the moment of the screen shot is high @25%.
But, live data stream is more helpful than a screen shot of a “moment” in time.
Where I get the live data stream? I have forscan..

I should be replace all 3, right?

Other questions…. Did you use anti seize on the spark plugs? If you get it on the electrode it will cause a misfire. Check to make sure that the plug gap was not closed?
Nope, no anti seize..

I should be replace all 3, right?
What do you mean 3? You have 6.
The ECM says there’s a problem with cylinder #1. You could remove that injector and attempt to clean it by hand. There are several videos on YouTube showing how people clean theirs.
The best thing to do is replace it, but if that one is dirty to the point where the ECM is trying to add 25% more fuel to bank 1, then all 6 need to be replaced.

What do you mean 3? You have 6.
The ECM says there’s a problem with cylinder #1. You could remove that injector and attempt to clean it by hand. There are several videos on YouTube showing how people clean theirs.
The best thing to do is replace it, but if that one is dirty to the point where the ECM is trying to add 25% more fuel to bank 1, then all 6 need to be replaced.
ok, will order some...should i use Motocraft?

ok, will order some...should i use Motocraft?
It helps but if you know what color your injector is you can order a “Matched Set” from a 3rd party probably cheaper. Some of the shop manuals I’ve seen say my ST has 19lb/hr(black) when mine has 24lb/hr(dark blue).
You can always try and clean them all by hand.

It helps but if you know what color your injector is you can order a “Matched Set” from a 3rd party probably cheaper. Some of the shop manuals I’ve seen say my ST has 19lb/hr(black) when mine has 24lb/hr(dark blue).
You can always try and clean them all by hand.
Ok, thank you

Where I get the live data stream? I have forscan..
I have not used the forscan product. I looked it up and it seems like there should be a “live” data stream option.
I retired from wrenching professionally in 2010 and my trusty old Snap On Solus works for my needs as the only domestics that I currently have are the 01 ST and 95 F150. I use the Launch system for my German vehicles.

Latest posts