Engine Swap/input on job1 vs job2 replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James B 3

Reaction score
Ok. I have a job1/01 with the first series engine through 07/23/00 in it. Question, how hard would it be to replace this engine with a newer engine out of the series? I am having a hard time finding a good low millage engine near me and I am questioning trusting spending over 1000.00 on an engine from an unseen junk yard that I have not dealt with. Any input her would be greatly appreciated. My engine still runs at 183k miles but the previous owner was not nice to it at all. I would prefer just to scrap it and start over.

Thanks in advance for input.

james

Last edited by a moderator:
Any reason why you cannot just rebuild your existing motor? Maybe bore it out a little for a few more HP and torque.

The swap should not be that hard, Would also need the computer and maybe the engine wiring harness because some of the sensors are different......

Todd Z

Tod,

The computer would have to be the correct one for the motor and the transmission, I am assuming, if thats the case are the transmissions different from job 1 and job 2?

thanks,

Don't forget that the 4.0L SOHC engines in the Explorers up to 2001 are the same as the Trac '01 Job 1.

Tom

James the tranny is the same, the block is the same, the valve covers, oil adapter, intake and some other accessories are different...

Todd Z

The engine from any 2001-2007 V6 sport trac should be a simple bolt in operation. As Caymen said, don't forget that the Explorer V6 engines are the same as well. You will have to get the ECU computer that matches the engine and tranny combo from the donor vehicle. Any sensor wiring differences should be minor.

Rebuilding the engine is harder since you still have to remove and replace the engine, but you also have to dismantle the engine, have it cleaned, tested and machined for new pistons, rings, bearings, etc. Then you have to buy all new gaskets and reassemble the engine which may require special tools that you don't have. Engine rebuilds almost always cost more than originally planed and usually take a lot longer. You always find another part that needs to be replaced, or you break a bolt, can't find this part or that part, or the part you got is the wrong one, etc.

If you can find a good low mileage engine out of a wrecked Sport Trac or Explorer, you are far ahead of the game money wise and time wise. Anything with less than 25K miles should be in very good shape. If you find one with less than 10K miles, it's like buying a brand new engine and half the price.

...Rich

James, I JUST sent you a HUGE list of engines available to you. About 300 are on the list.

Sorry a bit slow, got sent to Germany and just could not get caught up.

First, thanks to all who have helped thus far. Second, thanks Coastiejoe for your assistance.

Here is what I have found that I would like input from Rich, ToddZ and anyone else that knows. I have found an engine with 926 miles for a resonable price with a 4 month warranty. So this would be just a swap.

I also have found several job 2 engines with resonable miles for the around the same cost as the job1.

Question: Is there any advantage to changing to a job2 engine vs sticking with a job1?

I have not issue with replacing it either way, my uncle worked for ford for over 25 years and a couple of years ago started working out of his own shop b/c of health reasons and he will be the one changing it.

Thanks for your input.

james

Personally, there is no advantage to swapping to a Job 2 engine. Things are differences between the two and it might make the swap more difficult.

I do recomend you replace the intake manifold gaskets and the tensioner while the engine is out of the vehicle, just to be on the safe side.

Tom

I think Tom has nailed it pretty well.

You will run into some emission issues I would think. The Job 2 would be more common in the event of needing future parts and what not, but not to such a degree that is is better to go to the Job 2 version.

I would try to get a good look at the emissions differences before you go to far, I think that will be the biggest issue you will address.

Just to add to what I said before.

Reasons why it would be an advantage to swap a newer engine.

Power

performance

gas mileage

cheaper maintenance

The newer Sport Trac engines have none of those advantages. They have the same power, performance, gas mileage, and the maintenance is about the same. The only reason I would ever consider a Job 2 engine, would be a significant cost advantage. When I say significant difference, I am talking about 1/2 the price. Since you have found a job 1 engine with low miles, I would not think twice about it.

Tom