Engine ticking

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Partridge

Reaction score
I have had this ticking noise like a old sewing machine on the right side. It goes away after a minute or so. How would I know if it is an exhaust manifold bolt or a valve noise . ( cold or hot weather doesn't change )

Thanks for any help .

Gen2 ST, Exhaust manifold, Almost guaranteed !!!!

Todd Z

I see napa has a manifold for 124.00 BK 6003316 R/H Should I invest in a new manifold or assume the old one is generally good ?

Dealership wants 408.64 CDN . Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The studs snap causing it to have to be drilled out, or if you get lucky you can remove the manifold, New gaskets and new studs.... I dont think the manifold cracks, its the stud snapping off and then the gasket blowing out.

Todd Z

From what I have read on here. Ford has upgraded the studs. I suspect it is a metalurgy issue, from expansion and contraction. Aluminum heads and cast iron manifolds.

Yes it should be covered by the warranty. there are a few threads about the issue. Search

'manifold' under exhaust category.

Maybe Ford engines are made by Timex?....They take a licking and keep on ticking..:grin:

Sorry, but I could not just let that one go by...:haveabeer:

....Rich

New upgraded studs are available. Just went through all that nonsense. Due to the bolts breaking, my manifolds warped from not being tight. Had to have them planed to smooth 'em out. I also went with an all metal gasket instead of the fiber/metal ones that it comes with. can't think of the name, but Autozone carries them. Its some german sounding name, but they worked. Planing, new studs all around and better gaskets. Not a peep out of that motor now!! Bob

PS: Its Victor Reinz gaskets, $19.99 a complete set.

I sprayed a silicone spray on the lower serpintine belt . I believe the a/c unit clutch. The noise went away for a while ? Maybe it's just a belt that needs changing. NOPE required 2 studs broken inside the head drilled out . At least they were at the front. The a/c lines had to be taken out to get a drill in. My walllet :angry: My first ford.