Enjoying the holiday? Thank a Union member!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tom,

question: compare your new non-union employment vs. your past union employment.

pro's & con's

curious as this is been an on going debate

question: compare your new non-union employment vs. your past union employment.

pro's & con's

First off, my non-union employment is over the guys I used to work with. In other words, my former co-workers are now my subordinates. I earned their respect when I worked with them and now that they work for me, the respect me for not only being their boss, but as someone that earned their wings and went through the ranks to get where I am today. I work with a group of guys that care about their jobs and what we produce. The items we produce are crucial to those that depend on it and our product MUST be built to the highest quality we can possibly build it at. Too many lives depend on the work we do.

I like the flexibility of my employment. I like it that I have a 3 day weekend every other weekend. I do not like the fact that I give free time to the company. I work from 2:30 to midnight, but many times I do not get out of work until 1 AM, depending on how much of a jerk I need to to keep the production superisors in check.

I do not like the extra responsibility for the little extra pay I get for it. I mean, being responsible for 2 departments for an extra $15K/year over what I was making before really bothers me, but I agreed to it. I know that the company has "other plans" for me and I need to buy my time in my current position.

When I was hourly, I had less stress and was a happier person.

Do I regret it? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Overall, it doesn't matter. To me, a job is a necessary evil that as the man of a household, I have to provide for my wife by whatever means are required. If I hate my job, as long as my wife is provided for, then I am happy.

Tom

Caymen wrote,

I was working in a military installation a while back. Guess what, they were members of a labor union. Sure, this was the National Guard, but they were union.

Yes the Army and Air National Guards have full time technicians. They have two nationwide unions, but do not have much teeth. They have fought for years about issues such as wearing a military uniform, pay comparable to the civillian sector and other issues.

They have always fought against the AGR/Tar programs as well. The Guard has a split manpower situation, where technicians worked along side Green ID card personnel, this causes friction from time to time. There are advantages to both programs, AGR get to retire with 20 years of service, technicians usually have a minimum retirement age. They draw military retirement at age 60.

I retired from the GA Guard in 1996 with 17 years, but got credit for 20 years, since my unit got relocated. I chose to get out and retire. so i'll have to wait till 60 to draw a military pension. I also get a small civil service reitrement at age 56.

Now if I can live that long.....:lol:

To me, a job is a necessary evil that as the man of a household, I have to provide for my wife by whatever means are required. If I hate my job, as long as my wife is provided for, then I am happy.

Oh crap! My wife makes a lot more than I do. I am happy because she provides for me to buy the man-toys that I need. I provide the means to get the trash to the curb twice a week.

Guess it all works out...

Oh crap! My wife makes a lot more than I do. I am happy because she provides for me to buy the man-toys that I need. I provide the means to get the trash to the curb twice a week.

I get a foot rub once a week, minimum. I get all meals cooked for me and they are on the table waiting. She mows the grass and I get to buy all the toys I want.

It works for me.

Tom

No foot rubs ever. Back rub once a month. Go out for most meals. I mow the grass because the John Deere is MINE. I get to keep my cats on the bed at night. She has to put her dog in the cage at night.

Yea...and...

That is what voting a union in means. The employer does not have the choice to say no.

Of course, we can join those nice folks in China, Iraq, Venezuela, and N. Korea and make Unions illegal. We know they have their citizens best intrests in mind...

Tom

Somebody earlier mentioned that it takes two sides to sign a labor agreement. My comment was directed more towards them.

Unions were necessary in the '20's and '30's, as there was a lot of business corruption. In the 21st century, we are deep in a global economy, and unfortunately we have to compete with all those contries you listed and a lot more. It would be nice if we didn't, but facts are facts. I would have no problems with unionized labor if they didn't resort to strong arm tactics in organizing which I have seen up close, and the extortion like way that they force labor agreements which I have seen second hand and through the media.

Lack of concessions in Obama's auto makers deal (first round, anyway) shows how difficult some of these groups are to deal with. They would cut of their nose to spite their face. Unfortunately, it's the union bigwigs that push this, and it's the worker that can pay the price for these actions.

I would have no problems with unionized labor if they didn't resort to strong arm tactics in organizing which I have seen up close, and the extortion like way that they force labor agreements which I have seen second hand and through the media.

As if businesses never use strong arm tactics? I think what we are failing to see is that both sides use the tactics they feel are needed at the time. From locking out employees when they are willing to work without a contract to employees walking out when the company refuses to talk. Both are doing what they need to do. While we may or may not agree with it, things must be done to make things happen.

This isn't a one way street. Both sides play dirty.

Tom

This isn't a one way street. Both sides play dirty.

Amen! Companies/businesses that get unionized are usually asking for it. I have worked for employee-caring companies and for employee-hateful companies. Sadly, there seems to me more of the latter out there, and I don't blame employees for organizing to improve their conditions when a company refuses to listen, lies, or otherwise treats its employees like children or thieves.

Latest posts