Excal 2 ? How much more MPG`s???

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erv Metoxen

Reaction score
Hi guys, and gals;

I have a 01 and a Excal 2 is coming in the near future.

I was wondering if it is possible to achieve about 4 to 5 miles

per gallon more. Currently I am only getting about 16 to 18.

If I can get 4 more mpg`s that calculates out to 80 more miles

per tank. At $2.20 per gallon it should take about 41 tanks to

pay for the Excal 2 at $350.00.

Or 5 more mpg`s should be 34 tanks.

So either way it should take less than a year to pay for itself?

Is this correct?

I am trying to justify the cost of the Excal 2 to my wife!!!!

Thanks for any input and or help.

Erv01st

A couple of members have noted pretty good increases in mpg with this and other mods. One stating he is in the 29-30 mpg range. However, common discussions on this board and others referring to the explorer dictate otherwise. Some improvement is possible/feasible however, what your looking for is EXTREMELY unlikely, IMO.

From what I have read on here you will be looking at 1-2 mpg increase.

With an updated intake, exhaust and XCal2 you "might" get closer if not hit your target number but I have not seen that much increase with just an XCal2. The XCal2 would have an economy tune as well.

ScoTt

It would depend on your driving habits and the tune you get. You will definitely want an economy tune as opposed to the performance tune so you are really not going to get the performance benefits of the xcal. I run the 93 performance tune and my mpg increases about 1-2 mpg with the same, or worse driving habits. This is probably because everything is running at optimal settings including transmission shifts, etc.

You are already getting better mpg than me. Forget the mpg and get an xcal for performance! :D

Speak to Doug at BamaChips and see what he says. He has helped me a lot and I would definitely recommend him.

George

Thanks,

I do have a slightly heavy foot but economy is always in the back of my head.

and yes I will be getting the economy program and one of the performance

programs as well.

I do have a self made performance exhaust and a modified K&N cone filter that

I custom fitted from a 97 f-150 that I traded in.

The filter works well. But I would like to fit in a smooth tube sometime.

Any way

Thanks Guys and Gals.

Erv 01 ST:)

I am actually amazed at what the XCal2 did for me from Bamachips.

I used to get about 340km on a tank, which was really bad in my opinion.

With the RACE tune I got with my XCal, the last tank lasted me 410km. I was pretty shocked to say the least, cause I have a heavy foot and with the better shifting and stuff that comes along with the tune I dont drive like granny...

Anyways, for me, its done wonders, almost makes me think there was something wrong with the stock tune.

The mpg gain is not Just from the Xcal.

Personally I don't like the economy tunes, they are only good for 100% highway driving.

I feel that since you have to give the truck more throttle to get going and stuff around town, you will waste the gain if you take under 20-30 mile high way trips. You need 200+ to get a gain.

I say get the performance tune, you should see 2-3 MPG if you keep you foot off the front bumper....

I have all my other mods and highway constantly get over 21 MPG, average of 24, High of 27....

My local if thats all I do is still around 18...

Todd Z

Scootch,

IT is not a ST it is Al Franklin in his 99 4 door explorer 4.0L....

Todd Z

Latest posts