Exhaust, any bolt on cat backs?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan M 3

Reaction score
So I have an 09 XLT 4X4 with the V6. Not a bad truck, enough power, but HATE the sound of that V6, and worse the lack of any exhaust noise. So I was thinking, if I could add a bolt on cat back system, remove the stock OEM and just bolt something on, that would be louder, and make the truck at least sound like a truck, that would be cool!!!!

Anyone know of anything? and no I don't want to go bend pipe or have it installed. I am just thinking a simple add on, bolt off, bolt on, that will not harm emmisions????

Any help, thanks!!!

I put a Gibson system on, has a light rumble at idle but can hear it once you open it up. I wanted something louder than stock but not loud enouph to wake up the people downstairs. There are some which are louder with different tones(Magnaflow,Flowmasters,etc) and I'm sure those guys will chime in shortly. All of which will meet your criteria. You can also try youtube for exhaust audio, but the sound quality is ehhh. Good luck, Mike

Les is right. You will most likely have to cobble up pieces from different manufacturers to get what you want. A lot of guys like the Flowmaster mufflers(Magnaflow, Borla, Gibson, etc). You are just gonna have to do some "surfin" to find stuff. Good luck, Bob :unsure:

Les and Bob C are wrong. Gibson makes a Gen 2 V6 system. I have one.

p/n 619897 for stainless or p/n 319897 for aluminized.

You could also just go to an exhaust shop and have a custom system designed with the muffler of your choice. The cheapest I could find the Al Gibson system was ~$281. I'll be you could have a custom cat-back exhaust installed with a Flowmaster or other muffler for ~$200 or less.

I had a cat-back exhaust installed with a Flowmaster Delta Flow 40 on my Trac for $180.

Opppss, I made an error, what I meant was AXLE back, not CAT backs.. no need to replace any extra pipe for no gain. Just looking to unbolt a replace as little as I need to, in order to get some sound...

Hope that makes sense?

I did look at the Gibson that JohnnyO suggested and that is when I realized I only wanted AXLE back.

Any help is appreacted, as always!

Most of the time on the cat back on a v6 they up the pie from 2.25 to 2.5 inch, So check the specs on everything....

Todd Z

Learn something new every day. It sounds like all you want to do is remove the resonator. If so, you can cut it out and add a piece of pipe, or any exhaust shop should be able to do it.

Stock pipe is either 2" or 2.25", I forget. The Gibson is 2.5" with a 3" stainless steel tip. Removing the resonator might help the sound a little, but the stock muffler is pretty big so I don't know how much difference you'll get.

I did look at the Gibson that JohnnyO suggested and that is when I realized I only wanted AXLE back.

No you want cat-back. Axle back is when the muffler is at the rear, after the axle. The trac has a cat-back system. Mufflers are between the cats and before the rear axle.

Holy crap... LOL... seems like nothing is easy on this truck LOL... I modded my GT500 and it was all bolt off/on and each was amazing and always worth the cost. As for this mod, I guess as I live in NV with the emmision crap that if I remove anything I may have a hard time meeting the numbers? Arggg... all I want is a better/louder sound.... LOL

Gibson's cat-back system was a slam-dunk to install on my truck. Had to scrounge up some shorter bolts for the cat flange but otherwise everything fit like factory.