Exhaust Clarifications

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
So Im going today to get my Flowmaster Delta Flow 40 System installed, I hope.

When I went yesterday for 'consulting' they didnt carrry the flowmaster line, so I asked if I could supply the muffler, and he says sure... So as im standing there hes plugging all these numbers into his calculator.... (REMEMBER IM SUPPLYING THE MUFFLER) so anyways, he tells me that the stock muffler is 2.5" all the way... so I said, I anted to have 2.5" in, and 2 - 2.25" out... So anyways back to him putting in the numbers, he comes up with like $500CAN to supply the pipes, and 2 $50 stainless tips.

$500? He said that it was about 2hrs labour. Which I think thier shop rate is say $75/hr (High guess, so thats $350 for the hangers, and the pipe)

Does this sound right? I see everyone saying $200 installed, I mean, I know everything in my city is expensive, but this seems OUT THERE.

Can anyone confirm the amount of pipe I will need for single in dual out, stemming from the cat to the rear.... to me it looks like probably 5' 2.5" pipe and say 12" of 2.25" pipe... whats the worth?

My plan is to go there, ask them thier shop rate, ask them how long it will take, and then say " the parts are in the back, have at it"

find another shop..he is way to high..you can buy a stainles steel catback system for less than that..

Ya, I shoud just buy the parts and do as I said...

Im tired of paying inflated costs just becuase its not a bolt on kit of some kind, which I would just attemp myself if that was the case.

Im thinking maybe to change to the Flowmaster 50 SUV....

Those sound decent?

I dont want it loud, but I want it to sound as close to a dualled 4.7L Mustang (new)..... would I get a sound similar with the 40 or 50 SUV?

Okay, here is my final decision!

I just called, the ONLY muffler that I can find with the amount of time that I have is this one...

Magnaflow 14218 (2.5" in, and dual 2.5" out) for $113CAN

And 2 18" 2.5" Stainless Straight Tips w/ 45's - $26.82CAN each.

Will this setup work and sound nice?

QUICK, I GOTTA GET OVER THERE ;) hahaha...

Ya, I know, but I just mean as close to it as I can...

The part # for that muffler is 14218.

Its a single centered 2.5" and dual 2.5" out

This is ok?

Not true Eddie, it can be done, just not for a cheap price. Todd Z's setup sounds great and my setup is on the same level as my friend's Mustang GT.

So I just called the place...

He's saying if I supply the muffler, and the tips

$350CAN -- Is this an ok price?

I told him it has to be PERFECT.

The inlet to the stock mufler is 2.25"...I dont know which flo will fit the offset you need to line up with you factory hangers..I bought the direct fit magnaflo cat back for my Trac...

Jeff C...I have a '94 Mustang with a 5.0L cobra motor and flomasters..I havent heard any V6 exhaust even come close to its sound..:p

Ya, total cost I have haggled down to is this...

Flowmaster 40 2.5" in dual 2.25" out w/ stainless rolled 18" straight pipes out the back with install

$500CAN

So thats not too bad I beleive.

I am just torn between the Flowmaster and the Magnaflow! I dont see any 'clips' of magnaflow systems... anyone have one!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris,

Here is a video of my truck. The video is huge, SO i recommend right clicking on the link and save the file, then view it...

http://www.team-sr.org/toddzypipe.mpg

That is 3 inch inlet and dual 2.5 out... No front cats, Stock back cat, and a basic flasher tune, I did not have the race tune installed at that time... The camera was a little too close and gets raspy also... But It sounds great and I do get a lot of compliments...

At idle I would put my truck up against a mustang exhaust, and mid range... At the top IT does get a little raspy, But this is due to the single in muffler... If I could get a dual setup under there It would be competition to the Gt sound...

Jeff C , Was that a compliment ??? Holy S, I almost fell out of my chair !!!!... HEHE Thanks man I do appreciate it...

Eddie, I disagree also, You can get close, real close....

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
I just ordered the MAC intake from EE.

I want to get the chip... I will also get the MAF Sensor, headers, and all eventually.

Should I be getting bigger inlet/outlets on my muffler to support these mods?

Should I be getting bigger inlet/outlets on my muffler to support these mods?

IF your leaving the stock pipe, then No it will not do any thing.. If your changing pipe go to 2.50 if you can..

Todd Z

I am changing pipe. From the cat back... for now, until I get headers, and all down the road a bit.

2.5" in, and 2.25(2) out is what I have on order now... is that what I should be lookin for?

Chris, that will work fine, And if you upgrade in front of the muffler a good shop can stretch the inlet for larger pipe.....

Todd Z