Exhaust Experts, Please Look!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Kulbaba

Reaction score
Well, I ordered the following for my ST. What I want to know is, what is IDEAL for someone that will eventually have a chip, headers, MAF Sensor, Mac Intake, High Flow Cat.....

This is what I ordered: Flowmaster Delta Flow 40 2.5" in, and 2x2.25" out....

What should I be getting to make all these mods optimal when they are installed?

I can change my order if its first thing in the morning, and still have the parts for install on thrusday.

Thank you!

I just want to not have to change anything around after adding the rest of the mods...

Eventually im looking for the supercharger as well, but that will probably be the last mod to ever touch the ST.

Chris you will be fine.... Since the ST really doesn't allow for a true dual setup and is not a huge displacement motor you will be fine with that setup, Even if you get headers and high flow cats and a y pipe you will still be fine...

And as far as a tune goes, You do not need to change it ...

Todd Z

I would get the shop to run 2" tailpipes...they will fit in with more clearance, plus help maintain enough backpressure for good low end torque...JMHO

With the length of the ST exhaust, and all the bends to get 2.5 inch pipe in there and all the dam cats, There should be no damage to exhaust valves from super cooling when the engine is off...

But you can go too big on exhaust and kill some of your lower torque...

But the setup I have has proven high HP numbers for the st, so I don't think it hurt any thing....

Todd Z

Well the inlet is 2.5"

The 2 outlets are 2.25" -- this is pretty much in the middle of all....

I dont want to lose ANY torque or anything if at all possible!

Should I knock it down to 2.25" inlet and 2" outlets???

What scares me is I think that size was a couple week order, and I have the truck scheduled for thursday this week.

Chris..keep what you ordered..a good muffler shop can downsize the pipes for you..they will build the 2.5" inlet pipe and they can make the adapters if you go with 2" tailpipes instead of the 2.25"..no worry...I have 3" flo's on my stang with 2.5" tail pipes..

Isnt most of the back pressure before, or at the cat? From what ive been told by a couple muffler shops is that anything after the muffler will not affect the back pressure much if at all?

True or False?

Because the ST has soo many dam cats that is true, But once you replace with a y pipe and high flow cat, then any back pressure would be created by the muffler and pipes.

Listen, The st is not a big block v8 and not making 400+ hp where it really matters... Any loss will be insignificant...

Just go with the setup your planning......

Todd Z

A diesel uses a whole different control for the fuel and air, But I guess it can apply here...

Todd Z