exhaust problem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc Dubuc

Reaction score
I have a 2009 ST LTD 4x4 with black soot coming out of the exhaust. I have had it at 2 Ford dealerships tyring to find out the problem. The can find nothing wrong, and are trying to say it is the way the air moves around the mudflap. I have yet to see another ST with this same problem. If anyone has seen this problem, or can help in ANY way, I would appreciate it. i wll post pics. Thank You! [Broken External Image]:[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you experimented with gas from different stations to see if this eliminates the problem?

Try other dealers too for more opinions. It's under warranty, so it won't cost you anything except time.

Sorry about making the pics so big, gotta resize them I guess. As for this being normal, I would have to disagree. This vehicle only has 11000 kms on it. I have never seen any other new vehicle do this. And I have also tried fuels from various gas stations, and it does not seem to help the issue.

I wounder if the drain hole in the muffler is clogged and your spitting the water out of the tail pipe...

Check the bottom of the muffler and resonator for the holes.... They should drain the water out so that does not happen..

Todd Z

Bill, alot of stock type mufflers have 1/8" condensation drain hole. It is at the rear bottom on the end cap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks to me like carbon and condensate. Odd that it would splash upward. usually just drips or blows away from the car, until the exhaust system gets hot.

Do you back into a parking spot which is close to a wall? There is no way it would splash upward(like a Seinfeld magic lugee) unless it has something in front of it to make it splash back. Probably is what Fast Eddie said, and you started it up in front of a wall. Try it out.

I wonder if the mud flap has anything to do with changing the airflow around the pie? I mean, if you think about it, they probably generate a vortex that would cause the updraft. But what do I know, I'm just a lowly surgical nurse. :unsure:

I wonder if all the splatter is from road crud kicking up hitting the pipe and spraying out at all angles, since the pipe is round???:huh:... hmmm