Exhaust System or just Muffler

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phillip Clark

Reaction score
What would be best for gaining the most performance and gas mileage, an exhaust system or just a muffler.

Also, what brand should I look in to getting if I just want a quiet, but still hear a little of that deep throaty sound?

I think the best would be the tuner from Wayne Foy, then an intake by Mac or K&N, then the full exhaust. If you want to hear the Flowmaster 50, play the clip that Wayne posted for me. I'm getting about 19mpg

Actually Gary its better to get the Intake and exhaust before you get the tuner so Wayne would not have to reprogram it for the other mods.

I have the magnaflow cat back. It is throaty at part and full throttle. There is no droning in the cab at cruise. Suits my taste. If I had it to do over, I might just change the muffler. The catback is 2 1/2". I think keeping the 2 1/4" stock pipes would give better low end torque. I would get rid of the resonator though. For what you are looking for go with the magnaflow...

JKII, very good point. When I ordered mine I told Wayne that I was getting the other mods very soon, so he programmed for them in advance.