Exhaust Upgrade Help!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Brash

Reaction score
Hey Gang, this is my first posting... I'm having trouble getting measurements for the stock muffler for a 2010 Adrenalin. My new truck is on order, but I'd like to make a direct swap of the OEM muffler for a Flowmaster as soon as it comes in.

The problem is, my aftermarket dealer cant figure out what the stock muffler is for a 2010 Adrenalin (dont ask) and they want me to wait until I get the truck so that I can take it in and measure it to find the right size/configuration to do the direct swap.

Does anyone here know of the proper dimensions (intake pipe size, exit pipe size, lenght, etc) of the stock muffler.

Also looking for information for a bolt-on K&N Cold Air intake and a supercharger.

Thanks for all your help!! And great board!

AJ

You never know if or when Ford is going make an equipment substitution change mid-year. I'd wait until the truck comes in to be safe.

Wiat till you have it. Go to good muffler shop. Gut the muffler and silencer. Let them make a flow tube from the cat and mount the muffler close to the rear axle. Less drone in the cab. Or buy an after market kit.

Also looking for information for a bolt-on K&N Cold Air intake and a supercharger.

You didn't say whether or not you're getting V6, or V8.:banghead:

If it's a V6, no major aftermarket vendor makes a CAI to fit the 2007-2010 Sport Trac. :cry:

If it's a V8, the K&N part numbers are 63-2573 or 77-2573KP.:supercool:

As for the supercharger, again, nothing for the V6. For a huffer for the V8, contact Brenspeed about their Saleen S/C for Explorer/Mountaineer/Sport Trac. Link below.:supercool:

Jason, first, take a step back and take a deep breath. The members above are entirely right. Wait until the truck comes in, drive it for a while, see what you like and don't like. Depending if its a V6 or V8 will change your options. I guess we need a little more information to help you with your decisions. Many of us have made numerous upgrades to our Gen2 Sport Tracs, some successful, others not. Cold air intakes and exhaust systems are probably the most used modification. An engine/trannie programmer is a great way to get alot of performance from our vehicles.

OK, now about that supercharger. Yes, Brenspeed does offer a complete kit, a very comprehensive one. Unless you are a very experienced mechanic, this is not a "driveway" job. They will charge you over $8000 to install it. Edelbrock is another manufacturer that offers a kit, again it depends on your ability and you may have to have your local truck shop install it.

I'm glad you found us here, we can help with most of your questions, so take it easy and get the truck first. Then give us a shout, we'll help. BC :supercool:

Also the labor cost of cutting and pasting to make something fit with your stock exhaust will usually end up costing more than simply buying a cat-back system, which will have the added advantage of bigger pipe. OE exhaust systems are welded together into one piece. Even if you cut it off behind the muffler, the tailpipe ain't coming out in one piece to put it on the flaring machine so that it fits the new muffler. I know this to be true first hand. Besides which, the tailpipe has a resonator in it which you don't want anyway. My take, get a cat-back system and have a muffler shop bend the tailpipe to fit the Adrenalin application unless you can get a system that comes that way.

Also the labor cost of cutting and pasting to make something fit with your stock exhaust will usually end up costing more than simply buying a cat-back system, which will have the added advantage of bigger pipe.

Not always true. I had a Flowmaster Delta Flow 40 and tailpipe installed from the cat back for $160. By comparison, an aftermarket, bolt-on exhaust (Magnaflow, Gibson, etc.) in 2004 would've cost me $300 or more.

Just shop around 'til you find the best deal, be it custom exhaust or bolt-on kit. Trouble is, I don't think there's a bolt-on kit for the Gen 2 Adrenalin.

If all you want is loud, get the muffler added. If you want better flow and the efficiencies that come along with it, get an engineered kit.

Louder ain't always better.

Thanks gang for all your help and insights. Looks like a wait and see approach is the best one... but I appreciate all the links and suggestions with respect to all 3 mods I was looking at. Since I'm not a mech myself and will likely have the work done, the input you gave me will be quite useful. :haveabeer:

As for the truck, it is the 4.6L V8 Engine with AWD that comes in the 2010 Adrenalin.

Muffler: I think I'll wait to get the truck and discuss with my SVT dealer. Hopefully Flowmaster comes out with a cat-back kit. Ideally that would be the easiest and possibly cheapest solution. I've asked the folks at JEGS but there is no cat-back replacement system.. yet. To go the route of a custom exhaust, I'd have to find a really good place. And since I'm in Ottawa, Canada... the likelihood of me finding a great custom exhaust shop is slim to none.

Air intake: Thanks for the K&N Parts numbers! I'll start tracking that down to see if it also applies to the 2010.

Charger: I'll ask the folks at Brenspeed for more info!

Again, thanks a bunch.

AJ

If you want better flow and the efficiencies that come along with it, get an engineered kit.

Hopefully Flowmaster comes out with a cat-back kit.

An engineered, cat-back, bolt-on kit currently doesn't exist for the Gen 2, 2008-2010 Sport Trac Adrenalin. And the likelihood of an aftermarket manufacturer coming out with one is slim to none. Unfortunately, there are very few aftermarket parts made/sold for the Gen 2 ST, more specifically the Adrenalin. And with the Sport Trac ending production after 2010, I really doubt you'll ever see much more in the way of aftermarket/bolt-on parts.:cry:

Thanks for the K&N Parts numbers! I'll start tracking that down to see if it also applies to the 2010.

You're welcome, and the K&N intake part numbers 63-2573 or 77-2573KP will fit the 2007-2010 Sport Trac w/4.6L V8. Nothing's changed about the engine from model years 2007-2010.

Latest posts