Explain The Flaring?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Though I know this should be in the tranny forum... I think I might get more a repsonce here.

Could somebody explain this flaring I keep reading about? I'm going to take moms Trac on a 1.5 hour trip tomorrow and will have plenty of time to 'play' with it. lol

What should I look for? Is it under heavy acceleration?

Mickey

It is when the tranny "slips" between 2nd and 3rd gear. It's very noticable. Not so much under heavy acceleration, mostly under regular acceleration. The engine will actually "rev" when shifting from2nd to 3rd and you will feel a let up in torque. As I said, very noticable.;)

stonemiser's description is very accurate. It can happen while shifting in any gear but the 2-3 shift is the most common shift causing the flare in the Sport Trac's. Basicly when the transmission starts to shift out of 2nd gear there is a noticable delay before 3rd gear engages. The transmission is still in 2nd gear but at reduced pressure causing the the transmission to slip, the engine revs slightly until the transmission shifts into third gear.

The slipping can damage the transmission fluid and the friction material on the various clutches and bands within the transmission. Too much 2-3 flare for too long a time and you will need to have the entire transmission removed and rebuilt.

...Rich

I had mine fixed back in May and it is doing it again. this time it actually wouldn't shift out of gear a few times. I wasn't towing anything or had a load in the bed, just driving down the road. Goes back on Monday to Ford. The service guy's voice/tone changed when I explained what happened. Made me think he knew it was coming back.

I love the ST but am scared the tranny will go soon after my warranty is up in Jan.

Marc

Marc, keep all of your paperwork (i'm sure you will). Usually they will honor your warranty for a certain period of time after it expires as long as it's a "pre-existing condition". Since this is the 2nd repair on the same issue then your situation should fall within those guide lines. The question is how long of a grace period they will give you. I think it's usually at the service manager's discretion.

I had the flare between 4th & 5th the first time, and between 2nd & 3rd the second time. And it was under normal AND heavy acceleration. Rebuilt tranny hasn't done it at all... YET!

thanks Lil Red. as you stated, I have the paperwork. I hope it is fixed this time and I don't need it again.

Marc

Last edited by a moderator: