Extended warranty question

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I understand it, you pay a certain amount to extend bumper to bumper coverage.

Here in Canada, it is 3years/60,000 kms, whichever comes first. I am still debating what to do on my '05. I have 10,000. I can pay $1,000 to extend the coverage to 4 years/100,000.

Probably a good deal..

check around on prices i bought 2 for both of my cars through warranty direct and i have used it. they have awesome service, and no hassels also i chose the zero deductable which was only a little more money. plus you can still use the dealer or any shop you choose

I've had a Ranger & Explorer both with the Ford ESP. I never used the plan with the Ranger but I have gotten my money out of it with the Explorer. The key is to get a plan that has exactly what you want in it. A few of the ESP Plans are too expensive for what little they cover. The one perk that I really used is the rental car benefit. I've probably saved over $400 in rental cars while the rig has been in the shop.

Now for my Mustang and Sport-trac my current dealer recommended a plan from CNA. 6 year 75k plan for the Trac was $800.

I would get it, I did the same thing and it has saved me $$$. The tranny went again at 41K saved me $24oo, and the back window motor went again and that saved me around $350-400. So my opinion is to get it and not worry about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the premium care for my wife's windstar SEL and my ST. Bought from Rusty, the best price compared to my dealer and anywhere else I asked. www.fordserviceplan.com

I have used on the Windstar and not on the ST, at 36,100 miles the transmission went out, had it rebuilt , dealer invoice was over $2,5000; rear A/C went out that invoice was over $500 and the ball joints were replaced -don't recall the $. paid my $50 deductible on each case and the rental car was included.

I'm happy with the ESP plan. For the dealer performing work covered under is like money in the bank. The plan is valid in any Ford Dealer in the US (and I believe also Canada), so just make sure you take it to the dealer you like.

Dealers like Team Ford in Humble, TX will try to rip you off with other work you may not need while they have you there.

For instance Team Ford changed the ball joints under warranty, also a 4 wheel alignment (they could have done fron only) and try to charge me for it. I fought it since it was needed as a result of work done under warranty, on the contract fine print it sshows it will cover an alignment as a result of work done on the front end. But I had to fight it and talk to the "managers" and they still couldn't believe that it was covered.

On the same visit as a result of their multi-point inspection show me the paper strip indicating my brake fluid needed a flush which angered me because the same dealer did a brake job 2 months earlier which included flushing the brake fluid (as per the invoice), that tells me that they didn't a poor job or didn't do it at all.

Fortunately not all dealers are like that. (Do you know of a good one in the Houston area???)

I dealt with a Ford dealership in Houston when my window was broken on my first ST. It had a big globe in front of it (World Ford perhaps?) They made an attempt to help me, but didn't have the parts and it was almost noon on Saturday (they closed the service dept at 2 I believe). They referred me to a Lincoln-Mercury down the road. The Lincoln-Mercury dealer hooked me up with the local Safelite glass.

The Lincoln dealership was a life saver, since we were on our way back to OKC and we were having torrential rains in Houston. I had water everywhere -- I'm surprised the switches in the doors didn't short out.

The name of the delaer is "Planet Ford". And those weren't torrential rains. Those were normal spring rains or summer showers here in Houston! You should be here when it really rains!

How do they work? My '04 is nearing 2 yrs old, and I heard from my mechanic they were not worth it unless the engine went. Sounds like maybe my mechanic was wrong. Can I still buy one? I have around 21K miles. Thanks.

Latest posts