exteneded service waranty

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Didn't get the extended service plan when I bought the trac new a year ago and now I am wishing I had. I get the impression from different posts that i can still add/buy it for the trac. I also get the impression that I can get one from somebody other than Ford and what are the pros and cons of both.

The trac at around 17,000 miles (2005) started making a whinning noise during acceleration in first gear. Took it to the dealer and finally on my third trip to the dealer (don't get me started on that) the technician test drove it and said something about an abnormal wear pattern on the planetary body....err something along those lines. The trac supposedly will be in the shop for about a week and it is our dependable car.

Get your Ford ESP from Spartan Ford, a sponsor of this website. You will save a bunch of money versus buying from your local Ford dealer. By all means, get it. I did and my transmission has been completely rebuilt two times since being out of warranty. Only cost me the $50 deductible. I can't even think what it would have cost me without the ESP.

Gary

I wouldn't buy an extended warranty on a vehicle that has less than 20K miles because I have been experiencing problems and want to cover my arse should those problems continue past the regular warranty. That's what it seems you are contemplating.

Instead, if the problem seems chronic I would get it repaired under warranty then look into dumping the vehicle. No sense throwing good money after bad.

The best part about hitting your head with a hammer is it feels so good when you stop.

TJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Buy the extended warranty!!!!!!! Especially if you plan on keeping the Trac for a long time. Mine has paid for it self many times already.

Chad, the extended warranty on your 4 year old ST has already paid for itself many times?

That's a pretty said statement and not a good testimonial for off-warranty STs.

Guess I better be looking for my next vehicle. My 04 has 27K miles on it. ;)

TJR

So far I love my new 07 Limited but i'll be honest with you, if mine ever gets to the point where it's either not dependable or it has accumulated warranty repairs over $3-5K, it's gone! I am not loyal to any manufacturer whose vehicle does not deliver the service that justifies the $25-30K cost. I value my own money to much to do that....

I have had bad luck with the Mass Air sensor. I am on my 4th unit now, also had 2 radiators, 1 Pioneer 6 disc head unit, 4x4 module, and other little things. Plus the timing chain (twice). For me just having the piece of mind that it will be fixed is enough for me. Am I happy about all the problems I have had? Nope, but the ST is paid off so I deal with it. I think the extended warranty costed $1300.00 when I bought it. So with labor rates as high as they are at dealers and the overpriced parts, that is why I say I have already seen the payback. Plus I get a rental car when my ST is in the shop.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts