Exterior Door Handle Replacement - How Remove Yellow Clip

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Davis

Reaction score
How does one remove or disconnet the yellow clip that holds the connecting rod from the exterior door handle to the door latch? After 2 hours of tugging, pushing, trying to rotate, without destroying the piece, I have been unsuccesful. THe repair manual says

"2. Disconnect the door latch actuating rod from the latch." I can't actuallu see the clip without a mirror of taking photos of it.

I have to missing something very simple.

2001 Sport Trac. I have photos of this clip in My Libray.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just unbolt the window track i believe it is 1 bolt the pull down on it an you can move it out of the way to get closer to it alot easier, Then just stick a flat head on the yellow clip an wiggle it it pops right open

Use a small flat blade jewelers screwdriver to open the clip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. I will try again tomorrow with a smaller screwdriver and consider unbolting the window track.

I tried a small, 1/8" wide flat screwedriver without unbolting the window track, but I didn't seem to be able to get the srewdriver between the platic clip and the connecting rod. I was still working by looking at a mirror that I placed so I could see the clip.

Successful today. The trick was to remove the bolt that attaches the outboard window guide to the inside door frame. Then, I could move the window guide and I could see the yellow tab on the clip. Using a small screwdriver, I pulled the tab towards me, rotated the clip to my right, and then pulled the actuator towards me and popped it out of the clip. This took all of 5-7 minutes.

Latest posts