F-150 2004-06 issues?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Lovell

Reaction score
So I got some bad news this weekend while working on my ST. I had it on a lift at a friends place an discovered majors leaks from from the rear of the transfer case, between the trans and bell housing, and the front engine bearing and also have a bad wheel hub. I have been thing about getting a F-150 and now seems like the right time. I am looking at 2004-2006 F-150 either FX4 or Lariat and am just wondering if anyone knows of any issues with those years for the F-150? engine? trans? leaks? suspension? anything? Just want to know what to be careful of.

Thanks

The only issue I have had is the same as the 07-08 4.6 Sport Trac engine. That is the carbon build- up on the plugs possibly causing them to break when removed due to the head design.

Other than that...nothing.

My father in-law and brother in-law have a 2004 and 2005, both have had issues with the power window regulators going out. My brother in-law had issues with all 4 windows in his super crew.

I bought my 2006 King Ranch SuperCrew a year and a half ago. It currently has about 87,000 miles. I've changed the pinion seal, oil pan gasket, and spark plugs in that time. The 5.4 has the two-piece plugs that can snap off if you're not careful. So far, I haven't had any problems with the windows (knocks on wood).

I have an '05 that I bought used last spring. The place I bought it from had just replaced the cam phaser. When its going out they tend to make the engine knock a little bit and you have reduced power/speed, but doesn't do any damage to the engine. And I second the notion to be careful if you do your own spark plugs. I had a misfire which turned out to be an ignition coil, a coworker had the same problem on his 04. I had them do the plugs just to be safe as I've heard plenty of people braking them off in the heads or stripping out the threads.

But I'm very happy with the F-150, I like it better than my ST to be completely honest. Roomier and has a lot more power with similar MPG for me.

Latest posts