F.Y.I ABS light

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom buczkowski

Reaction score
Here's a kicker for you guys! I had an ABS light showing every other time I started my 01 ST.The light would be on and show "no code stored" on a scanner. I found out that this is caused by a burnt out 3rd brake light bulb. A $1.49 and the problem is cured!:banana:

Very common actually.

It was done this way for an easy fix. It is VERY common with GM models and it the cases I have tested vehicles there was always a code that came back to a voltage issue pertaining to the ABS system itself.

In looking at MANY wire plans, I found that the ABS is fed through the third brake light.

Thus, always have someone press the brake pedal down to see if the third brake light is working when you have an ABS code/light...

That really surprises me because I had a fellow employee following me after work one night and he told me my 3rd Brake light was out. I replaced the bulb a couple of days later.

Never threw a code and the ABS light never came on. 03 4x4.

With the older, early 2k down, it is a very common method of powering the ABS system.

They got away from it generically speaking in 03, 04 era for some reason.

From the perspective of a mechanic, I loved it as it was the first thing I checked.

Made lots of money replacing a bulb..

Would charge the people like 10 to 15 bucks and they loved me.. LOL

Basically, retained them as a future customer, and that is what was important...

Latest posts