Face-Off: Ford Fiesta versus Honda Fit

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ford was kind enough to drop off a Euro-spec 2009 Ford Fiesta into the Edmunds garage last week, showcasing its sub-compact hatchback that's been taking Europe by storm. It will enter the U.S. market for 2011, though we're not entirely sure how much will change beyond the addition of a sedan body style. Our sincerest hope is that the answer is "not much," because the Fiesta is truly an impressive little compact car that could change the way Americans think about small cars.

Yet, that attitude has already begun to turn thanks to the Honda Fit, a marvel of interior packaging and driving fun that has been flying out of dealerships since the previous generation arrived for 2007. As the reigning champ in this class, how does the Fit compare to the Fiesta? While you'll have to wait a bit for a full comparison, we decided to Face-Off this week to give you a taste of each sub-compact's highs and lows. To Face-Off in true fiesta style, editors James Riswick and Josh Sadlier pontificated about their chosen defendees over margaritas at Jim's Fiesta Taco Bar and Cantina as Associate Editor Mark Takahashi sat uncomfortably in the next booth jotting down their thoughts over a Bud Light Lime.

Opening Statements

James Riswick for the 2009 Ford Fiesta

The most important thing to know about the Ford Fiesta is that it's a real car, not just some subcompact toy you buy cause you can't afford anything else. Sit behind the chunky wheel in a sport seat that adjusts enough for tall people, look over a sculpted dash of high-quality materials, and feel the European ride that solidly thumps over bumps. The handling is sharp and the punchy engine makes the Fit seem gutless. The shifter's not great, but it feels better than the Fit's, which I'm not entirely convinced is mechanically attached to the transmission. Oh, and the Fiesta looks fantastic. I know Americans hate hatchbacks, but they really need to get over that because I know this Fiesta 5-door will look infinitely better than whatever the sedan manages to be. Look no further than the Yaris, Versa, Mazda 3 and Ford Focus as examples of hatchbacks that look better than the sedan. And no, I will not agree to disagree America. Hatchbacks are cool and the Fiesta is one of the coolest yet.

While driving the Fiesta last week, I could easily see myself owning one. I can't say that about any other sub-20-grand car on the market other than a base Mini Cooper. I don't just say that because it's one of the few small cars that I actually comfortably fit in, but because it doesn't seem like a sub-20-grand car. Very much like the Mazda 3, the Fiesta manages to feel like a richer car than its price would indicate. I think that's because it was born and bred in Europe, so I can only hope they don't muck it up when it crosses the pond.

Josh Sadlier for the 2009 Honda Fit

For the benefit of our readers, who don't have the privilege of seeing the facial expression that your little Fiesta festival provoked, I should disclose that I presently look like Takahashi after a big chin-puckering swig of that Bud Light Lime. Well, alright, except for the whole Japanese thing. Though a girl did once ask me once if I was part Japanese. True story. Suffice it to say that I wasn't impressed by her powers of perception.

Anyway, sure, the Fiesta's easily in the Mini Cooper class, a little car under $20k that I'd actually buy. We can agree on that. But we're not average consumers. Like that Weekly Top 3 guy was saying last week, we care about engine notes and body control and steering feel -- all areas in which (1) the Fiesta trumps the Fit, and (2) most drivers have precisely zero interest. Typical hatchback buyers think the term "road manners" refers to the way you're supposed to act when riding in someone else's car. These people want versatility out of their compact hatches, and absolutely nothing touches the Fit in this regard, least of all the space-challenged Fiesta.

[continued]

The focus was the top selling car in Europe that was suposed to "change the game". Then Jaques Nasser screwed it up. Hopefully Alan Mulaly won't.

Tom

The fit is still not very useful. Not very much will, ahem, fit into a fit.

My buddy has one, and he has to use the XLS explorer to even go grocery shopping. The fit may be fun to drive (more fun than the ST? Pfft) but in no way by sole virtue of "versatility" should it fit into anyone's lifestyle.

I'm surprised that the fit took off as well as it did, considering that the original ads were blatantly targeted to the gay community. However, the fit is slowly outgrowing that stereotype in my area, since there are so many of them :(

Ford needs to bring something over to compete. I'm tired of seeing disgraceful looking riced-up fits going down the road with their "performance" exhaust doing their best Ned Beatty impression.

At least if the rice'd up ride going down the road and being driven idiotically is made by the last American car company, I'll feel better on the inside. And that's what's important to me ;)

My son has a 2009 Fit and can FIT into it with no problem, and he is 6"4" tall. With him driving and me sitting behind him in the back, my fat butt has plenty of room. He can haul just about anything he wants in that thing. He just put 4 rims and tires in it the other week. No problem. I love that little car. Gas mileage is awesome toooo.... AND YES,,, it's no GT500, but it's fast enough, with the 5sp manual tranny (auto sucks)

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
That picture of the fit crossing the line just makes me want to see a video of it performing a handbrake turn ;)

If I had a tiny car like that, I'd run it through windy roads and slide around all day long...therefore it's good that I don't. I still think that my friend is right; blue is the best fit color by far.

I haven't been in the Fit in a while (my buddy using the ULTR/magic seat system to sleep in it might be the reason), but my friends and I had one heck of a time surviving even the shortest trip in there. Of course, ranging from 6'1" to 6'4", a compact car isn't exactly fitting for us, but that's not how Honda markets it.

I'll take your word on the manual not sucking, because the auto blows. (Even with the vaunted paddle shifters) With 4 of us in there, the fit was straining. It made its best piggy squeal without performance (cough hack) exhaust under moderate acceleration.

Currently Ford is developing a 1.4l ecoboost motor for this car. Average hp will be in the 230 range with 20% gas millage improvement. 1.4l will also include cars like the Fusion and the Focus.

Word in the suppliers arena is the Asians are running scared trying to figure out a competitive model against the ecoboost and hybrids are not the answer.

Anyone remember the Fiesta of the 80's? My 42 year old was in high school. Every time we left for the weekend and he didn't go with us. (had to stay home to "work") The car would some how increase the odometer. I finaly caught on when he accidently left the heater on one July weekend. I am sure he beat the puddin out of that car. I also didn't treat it as I should have, but I must say that was probly the best car I ever owned. It drove great, was easy on the gas and when I was done abuseing it I sold it to my son and he drove it for a couple more years. We said it was a disposable car but like I say we wore it out. I always wondered why Ford stoped selling them. I also drove a festiva for the company I worked for It was Junk. That one was a Ford mistake.:banana:

Gary S, many times "words" from the butt are given more notice than those from elsewhere. Something about odor...I'm not sure what you're talking about in this instance though. I've been immersed in Honda "Fitness" many times. It has been fun to drive, when not fully loaded, but it is made by Honda and must therefore be played down in my book. I have Fit some Fit experience under my belt. I haven't driven a Fiesta, but test driving a car that I have no intention to buy (Not really a new car kinda guy, nor is my wallet atm) feels wrong, and everyone I know has bought the Asian Car bug, so I think I'm outta luck for that one.

Out of curiosity, why woudl the heater be on in july?

I also drove a festiva for the company I worked for It was Junk. That one was a Ford mistake.

That car helped finance Kia coming to the USA. It was a rebadged Kia Pride.

Tom

Out of curiosity, why woudl the heater be on in july?

That's what I asked The kid....Seems that it got cold when he and his friends were joy driving in the middle of the night. Ah, sweet justice he is now a father. :D

Latest posts