Factory or Advance Tonneau?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr x 2

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between the the Factory Tonneau and the Advance tonneau from Elite.

Anyone have feedback?

Thanks

<'(((><,

I think you're the first space alien to join our site. Welcome.

I prefer the factory cover over the Advance cover because of strength and durability. The Advance covers always looked a little flimsy to me. Maybe some Advance owners can provide some positives over the Ford version. The only one that comes to mind is that it weighs less.

I like truxedo lo pro. It's great because it rolls up or back in about 20 seconds. Runs about $370 but well worth it. lies real flat too. :cool:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Advance. Got it 4 years ago and installed it myself. Never a leak, never any other problems. Takes about a minute to remove. And very light. Lower profile than the factory cover - hardly looks like it's there from a side view. I looked at both at the time. Factory cover cost about twice as much.

Both are good choices. If I was unable to get the factory cover at a reasonable cost, I would have definately bought the Advance cover.

Here are the basic differences;

Factory Cover-

Apx 75lbs, Strong enough to stand on, Can be keyed to match vehicle, can open and close tailgate while cover is closed.

Advance cover-

Light weight, low profile, much lower cost.

Which ever one you choose, you can't go wrong.

Edit;

If you choose a factory cover, I would also recomend the easy-lift from Rich Lunder.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had the Advance cover for 4 years as well. I chose it because of the same reasons listed above. Lower cost, lighter and much lower profile. Also, I never liked the raised handles on the factory cover. The Advance has simple plastic tabs that cover the locks, so they're barely noticeable.

I've never had a leak, and its appearance has held up well over the years. The only complaint I have is that the aluminum it's made out of (sandwiched around styrofoam) will dent if you're not reasonably careful. I've got dents on both sides of the hinge from accidentally leaving my keys on one side of the tonneau and swinging the other side closed.

I am with Dan on this one, I was going to get the advance cover, but got a good deal on the truxedo lo pro, I am glad I did, the first big trip I had we loaded camping gear for a week. I would have had to take the hard cover off to load everything. The only thing with a soft cover is you have to seal it better with silicone on the edges. _ Ron[Broken External Image]:

I love my factory cover. It never leaks, and the split design is very handy. It's not that heavy. I can take it off by myself...but having a helper does make it easier.