Factory Sub Driver Upgrade?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drenalinbobo

Reaction score
I want to do a slightly move away from my factory sound system, I bought a Sony head unit, along with some JBL drivers for the factory door cavities. Now I’m at the point where I am looking to replace my factory subwoofer’s driver. Driver only, I’m keeping enclosure. I measured it at 7”(?), where the Crutchfield application guide tells me it’s 8”. I know it’s a shallow mount unit! Has anyone here just done a simple swap of the factory sub-enclosure driver alone? 7 or 8”?
1645460474491.png

8" is what I found, BUT and a big BUT are you changing the amp? if not, NOTHING will sound better then the stock low ohm dual voice coil speaker. The factory amp can not drive any other speaker....

Great point Todd. That’s probably what I’d do then. Maybe a quality physically small amp with great dynamic headroom on a 3 or 4 ohm driver. I would assume that aftermarket harnesses are available.

I found with my 2013 F150 that the factory subwoofer dual voice coil had two different inputs going to the subwoofer from the amplifier. The 2 signals were not in phase. I am assuming that was Sonys way of making the sub feel bigger than it was but my amp couldn't use that source. I grabbed the left and right rear doors speaker wiring and ran that to an amplifier for the sub.
In my 99 Explorer Sport I grabbed a factory subwoofer enclosure from a 4-door Limited and replaced the factory subwoofer with a cheap $19 8 in subwoofer off of Amazon. Cxx8 I believe it was. I had to come up with a bunch of interesting ways to hold the Factory enclosure into the side of my sport before I could finally get everything
that sub could do.

Latest posts