Fender and Bumper Paint Job

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
First its been a while for me on here. Three kids do that to you, lol.

Second, I recently repaired my drivers side fender and front bumper cover. They're still the factory black and need to be painted. I received a quote form a guy I know to have it painted and blended and done the correct way for $400.

I feel its a good price, but I was wondering if it would be worth just having it done cheaply elsewhere, maybe a place like Maco (I know they suck) may be worth it since its such a small spot.

Or could I get real brave, order some matched paint myself and attempt to do it on my own? I'm mechanically inclined, so how hard can it be?

Any thoughts?

Bill

I've used Maaco before in a moment of weakness. I'd avoid them at any cost, especially a $400 cost.

You get what you pay for. Since the paint has to be properly blended/faded into the OEM paint job so it matches, $400 is not a bad price to pay. And if its not right, have the guy do it over, at his expense. Tell him that up front, it'll make him think real hard about getting it right the first time! Just curious, wonder what Maaco would charge? Bob

Bob, Im not worried about him doing the job. He owns a great body shop and is doing at this price because its a favor to me. I was just curious if there were any other possibilities. I will ultimately probably have him do it.

I'll put it this way: if Maaco would do it for $40, I'd still go with the $400 quote.

If you're painting a demolition derby vehicle, sure Maaco would be a good choice. Otherwise, go somewhere else, anywhere else. JMO

I had my Dad bring my '73 Mustang convertible to Earl Scheib for a $99 paint job while I was in college. They painted it alright- pin stripes, wheels and tires, lots of the convertible top as well...