filling gas leads to spill

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Kerr

Reaction score
Hello all,

When I fill my tank, gas pumps do never stop on time. There is always about an ounce or so of gas spilling out when the tanks tops off. Any ideas what might cause this?

Clusterpup,

Before considering it might be the truck's fault, did you consider it might be the pump? Do you get gas at the same place everytime? If not, do other station's pumps display the same problem?

(sorry if these are "Well Duh!" types of questions).

TJR

Every pump I've used shuts off in time. In fact, I could get an extra gallon in the tank if I wanted to top off.

James, did you have the recall performed on your 02 ??

There is an elbow you can see on the drivers rear wheel well.... Look in there and see if it is connected...

Todd Z

The problem occurs no matter which gas station or pump I go to.

Whats this about a recall? I've only had the truck for a month.

I'm going to look out for that hose to see if i can see if I can see if its connected

I checked fords site and it seems my truck has a recall for "evaporative emmission fresh air vent hose". Is this the hose you are refering to? I see a hose there that has a white plastic 90 angle connector on it and its connected. There is another that goes into the back of the wheel well. It seems to be connecteed to somehting on the other side of the well but doesnt seem to have a very airtight connection at all.

in Jersey we can't legally pump our own gas...what a joke. I'm actually thinking about putting some of that clear adhesive film under my gas cap so the attendants don't spill gas on or scratch my paint.

in Jersey we can't legally pump our own gas

On my last trip through Jersey I forgot that fact. Thankfully my ST was able to go to Long Island and back from MD without having to buy gas anywhere but MD. Not putting gas in my own vehicle feels so wrong.

Oregon is the same way, isn't it ? :(

On topic, I have an 02 and I never heard of this recall, but I've never had this problem, so maybe the previous owner took care of it (probably the only part of the truck they took care of, sigh.). Is there a list of 02 recalls/notices somewhere that I could peruse?

in Jersey we can't legally pump our own gas

On my last trip through Jersey I forgot that fact. Thankfully my ST was able to go to Long Island and back from MD without having to buy gas anywhere but MD. Not putting gas in my own vehicle feels so wrong.

Oregon is the same way, isn't it ? :(

On topic, I have an 02 and I never heard of this recall, but I've never had this problem, so maybe the previous owner took care of it (probably the only part of the truck they took care of, sigh.). Is there a list of 02 recalls/notices somewhere that I could peruse?