Filter Wrench

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One TracMind

Reaction score
For all of you guys that change your own oil...what do you use to unloosen the oil filter. Is there a nice tool making it easier (not that its hard)...just looking for the best tool.

Thanks Andy

I use the one that fits the grooves on the motorcraft filter...use a 3/8 ratchet on it..

works great for me..

Got this a few years ago when I had my Ranger, also 4.0 SOHC powered. Works on any filter, large or small. 3/8" socket extension fits in it and the claws tighten down on the filter.

[Broken External Image]:

Took that pic over my official Mark Martin #6 tire that I made a coffee table out of. :D

[Broken External Image]:

'Scuse the mess, the wife's office is the back half of the family room.

I used a round metal filter wrench that attaches to a ratchet the first time. Last time I just used brute force and my two hands to remove my Motorcraft filter. :)

I stab it with a flat head screwdriver to loosen it, JK :lol: That's what we use to do in the yard.

I generally tighten the filter with my so that I can loosen it with a dry rag. Doesn't take a lot of torque to get a seal.

You are right, TrainTrac, you seem to have caught the "unloosen" word. If to make something loose is to loosen, then to unloosen must be just the opposite or, "to tighten".

Had a friend that would say "unthaw" all the time. I forgot to "unthaw the steaks"....I always said "unthaw" means "freeze".

Sorry OneTracMind, we can be nit pickers here.

Just drill a hole in the side of the filter and put a screwdriver in it to give her a turn (JUST KIDDING, but someone once gave me this advice...obviously the chance of getting filings in your system ain't worth it).

TJR

I got it at a local independent auto parts store for about $10 as I recall. It was later turned into a NAPA store so maybe they have them too. It also works nicely on my parents' Cadillacs and my Astro, any filter that hangs vertically.

For all of you guys that change your own oil...what do you use to unloosen the oil filter. Is there a nice tool making it easier (not that its hard)...just looking for the best tool.

Thanks Andy
try this its called wrench motivx sells for 19.95. Has good reviews on Amazon.

Latest posts