Fine-tuning audio

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
What's the best way to tune the audio system in my 04?

I have aftermarket speakers with components up front, a sub in a JDBox in the compartment, one amp for the speakers and another for the sub, and a OEM Pioneer Adrenalin (6CD w/ MP3) head unit. This head unit is great however, aside from treble, bass, fade, L/R controls, it allows for no finer adjustments.

I listen to many types of music and things sound good right now, but I want to make sure I'm getting the best out of my set up. Bass is loud enough for me when playing rap/hip-hop, but I wish the bass guitar was more "defined" in some of my rock songs. Also, sometimes the s's in vocals almost sound like cymbals.

I've tried different adjustments on the headunit but can't find a happier medium than where it is now. I thought it may be possible to further optimize sound quality adjusting the peak/gain and filters on the subs. This is where I'm at a loss.

Any help would be appreciated!

The gains you should adjust with a multimeter, this will allow you to get the loudest cleanest sound from your amps without clipping/distortion. (How to link below)

Filters are dependent on the speakers ability to play certain frequencies and personal preference so thats kind of hard to get any input.

I'd be willing to bet, but I'm not certain, that the majority of bass guitar is actually in the higher end of bass getting closer to the mid-bass range, versus rap/hip hop base being in the lower end. So if you have any bass boosts, they typically boost the lower end.

Upon further research it looks like a bass guitar can play down to around 30 hz (human hearing goes down to around 20 hz) and most rap bass it around the 60 hz mark.

What sub do you have in the box? If the box is too small for the sub it will raise the resonant frequency.

Awesome tutorial JD. Thanks for the link. But I don't have a control CD. Do I really need one? If so, where to get it?

Download and burn to make one yourself, because you do need it, if you try to do with music your dmm value will be jumping all over the place and you won't be able to actually set anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an 8" RF P2 Punch. I put some poly-fil in the box if that makes any difference here. Thanks for the second link! Which freqs should I download?

60 would be good for the sub amp, 200 for the mids, and 5000 for the highs.

The new P2's (only ones easy to find specs of) only play down to 40hz, and for a sealed box call for .2-.3 so box size shouldn't be the issue unless the older ones have different specs.

Thanks again JD! I'm reviewing the JL site but I'm getting confused translating their chart for my Alpine subs. Still trying to figure out what numbers I need to substitute and what not...

I have an Alpine MRP-M450 amp for the RF P28S4 sub, and an Alpine MRP-F240 amp for my Alpine SPS-571A components up front, and Alpine SPS-570A two-ways in the back.

(THIS IS WRONG READ FURTHER DOWN)

square root of your wattage multiplied by your ohm load.

220 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (400 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)

square 220 = 14.8

14.8 * 4 = 59.2 on your dmm for the sub amp

I'll let you figure out the other one :D

(THIS IS WRONG READ FURTHER DOWN)

40 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms is what I found and you need to calculate it based on one channel.

square 40 = 6.32

6.32 * 4 = 25.28V

if your fade, and balance are all set equal then the 4 channels should all read the same voltage. If your amp has two gains, then set them both equally, assuming both pairs of speakers are 4 ohms. Set the front and back with the dmm though, not by the position of the knob on the amp because there could be a big variance.

ah damnit, I think I told you wrong. Give a few minutes to verify all my info, I haven't done this in a few years.

Thanks again JD.

What about Bass EQ dials? Where should they be set? Also, there is an LP Filter dial on the sub amp. Minimize this as well?

edit: Thanks for all your help JD. I'm standing by...

I was off on the parenthesis it's actually the sqrt (watts * ohms) so it should be

sub

sqrt(220*4) = 29.66V

4channel

sqrt(40*4) = 12.65V

on each channel of the amps.

edited older posts so if someone else does a search they don't get the wrong information.

Okay, just working on the sub alone, I can't reach 29.66V even with Gain maxed. It's only possible by adjusting the Bass from the headunit. I was under the impression that I was supposed to reach 29.66V through Gain adjustment on the amp alone.

Suggestions?

Have the truck running that should boost it some since the input voltage for the amp will be higher.

Make sure the volume is at 3/4

Does the headunit have RCA's or did you have use a converter just run speaker wires to the amps?

Didn't make a difference with engine running. Volume is 3/4. I didn't do speaker wiring/installation so I don't know if the HU has RCAs. I want to say no, though. I do remember having to use an adapter harness from the HU so that it can run to the speakers.

That make make a difference, I've only ever dealt with head units with RCA outputs running directly to the amps with no converters. The gain is a voltage adjustment to match the input to output (kind of) so if your input isn't high enough voltage I don't think you can achieve your peak output either.

You may just have to set them the old fashioned by ear way, which basically means keep turning it up until you hear distortion then turn it back down a little. Not anywhere near as accurate, but I'm not sure what else to tell you.