First experience for ST at dealer......

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn stonbraker 2

Reaction score
Ok, took the ST in for a timing chain rattle and some other minor problems to my local dealer yesterday. Not very pleased with the whole thing. I was told and I quote:

"Called Tech Hotline and was told to advise costomer to use correct weight oil and Motorcraft filter to minimize chain rattle. This is characteristic of engine and will not effect durability or performance of engine."

I didn't know these engines were to be so noisy. I always use 5w30 and have always used motorcraft filters. (I can get them at the WalMart just a mile from the house. The tech also asked what type of oil was I using, synthetic or regular. I said I had put in synthetic the last time to see if the noise would go away. He then asked if I used it 15K miles. I said no, I ran Motorcraft premium in it. He said that if I ran synthetic in it before 15K it would void the warrenty since the synthetic would not let the engine "break in" properly. I know that's all good but my ST has 56K miles on it right now.

I told them that when the chain decides to give out I will just have it brought back to them and we will go our rounds then. (not really, I'm pretty much done with them) The only problem is they are the only dealer that is near me. The next closest one is about 1-2 hours away.

So in my opinion, Murry's Ford in DuBois Pa, can be put on the "don't bother list" here.;)

There is a TSB for the Timing Chain Rattle. Take it to another dealership. You can find the TSB on the Menu to the left under "Recalls, TSBs". Ford and Dealers need to wise up and fix the problem and keep the consumer happy.

wow i guess i'm really lucky here my dealer bends over backwards they get to know you on a first name basis just feel very confortabe there

Amen with what Caymen said. My dealer only uses synthetic in all their cars from 1 mile to 200,000 miles.

Yep, pure BS. Many cars are filled at the factory with synthetic oil.

On all of my new cars (and lawnmowers, etc.) I put synthetic in first oil change (usually 500 miles for cars, 5 hours for lawnmowers, garden tractor, etc.). My engines run fine with synthetic right away. I never add oil before changing any of them, either. My wife's Liberty has a little over 14,000 miles on its current oil change, and the oil level is still at the full mark. This is for a vehicle with 73,000 miles on it that is driven every day at 80 MPH for two hours, the last few weeks in 100+ degree temperatures.