First Oil Change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Galvin

Reaction score
I just passed the 500 mile mark on my new Sport Trac 4x4 Limited. The owners manual states that I don't have to bring it in for service until 7,500 miles. I find that interesting, I would think that after the first 3,000 miles or so, the oil would need to be changed or an adjustment or two would have to me made. Any thoughts?

Thanks, JimG.

Auto makers and dealerships might have stopped using break-in oil to save money (most likely), or from government pressure over "hazmat" disposal. The latter is typically politically motivated BS, since used motor oil is recycled by everybody, save a handful of irresponsible individuals. But since DIY oil changes are mighty rare these days, it's not exactly an epidemic.

Even if there's no break-in oil that needs to be changed out, I'd do my first oil change within 1000 miles, regardless. If you're at 500 miles, try to find a break-in additive that you can add to your existing oil, then drive another 500 miles using recommended break-in driving practices (drive at different RPMs, don't zing it...). Then change to a respected brand of full synthetic oil.

If you're not changing the oil yourself, ask the technician to check the filter and drain plug for any signs of metal that shouldn't be there. Even better, save a sample of the used oil for chemical analysis. If it turns up problems, you can use this data to get it repaired (by the dealer, at their expense) before much damage is done, or even to invoke the Lemon Law if necessary.

Times are tough for American car makers and car dealers. IMHO we should be supportive so that we don't kill off the largest of the very few remaining domestic industries. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't protect our capital investments. Better to spend $100 out of your own pocket that the manual says isn't necessary than have to fight a long battle with Ford about fixing the whole problem before your warranty expires.

Had mine at the dealer with 1000-1500 miles on it. They gave me a hard time but eventually changed the oil and filter. Since then, I switched to Mobil 1 and have my garage change it every 5000 miles. No problems yet, knock wood! BC

Tolerances and design. Do not call for the high zinc content of old break in oil. New cars come with syn-blend or syn from the factory. I do my first oil change at 4k to 5k.

I take it easy for a couple hundred. Then if it is one I plan for performance. I drive it the way I want it to run. In over 40yrs I never broke a motor. If I built it or it came in the car. Most of the time I got a motor that ran better than another like it. With my street performance machines.

After 5k I switch to full syn oil and qaulity filters. I do a filter change and top off at 5k. A full change at 10k. I have no problems. Acording to many experts, The $$ are in my wallet and my motor is just fine.

If I still had something to race. It would get frequent fluid changes. my older performance carb motors, did get more attention. All we had was dino oil back then,

Not to say any of you are doing anything wrong. Not my intention. I would bet if you are not excesivly spirited drivers. Have your syn-blend or your syn oil tested. Your oil still has alot of life left. Blackstone Labs are on the web.

Maybe Im lucky. I have broke alot of parts. Never lost a street or performance motor.

My first oil change was 500, then 1500, then 3000 miles. After that, my oil has been changed once a year with synthetic, regardless of the mileage.

I got 109,000 miles on it. Still running great.

There is nothing to adjust on your vehicle. Change the oil and drive it. That is what it is for.

Tom

Tolerances and design. Do not call for the high zinc content of old break in oil.

That's true. Zinc phosphates were phased out a long time ago, although you can still get classic car break-in oil for restoration projects:

http://www.classiccarmotoroil.com/

The zinc has been replaced by molybdenum salts. The moly bonds to the soft metals used in fixed (as opposed to ball or needle bearing and race) surfaces in a one-time process. This one-time process will be repeated in some areas, as dry starts and normal settling expose fresh bearing material. After a successful break-in, the moly isn't needed, and some salts can be harmful if kept in longer than necessary. That's why we change the break-in oil after a few hundred miles.

Tolerances and design are precisely why extra care ought to be taken breaking-in newer engines. Hypereutectic pistons satisfy EPA regulations, but the tighter tolerances, and engine designs that still don't use pre-oiling mean that during these dry starts, the piston rings (which may be fewer in number in thinner in depth to satisfy CAFE rules) and cylinder walls are prone to faster wear. The use of thinner and thinner oils to get tiny gains in CAFE numbers makes things worse too.

Auto makers make sure that enough of their motors will live past the end of the warranty, but for them it's a calculated, manageable risk. For you, the owner, it's a far better bet to do a proper break-in using real break-in oil, and have your motor last twice as long. Speaking as an engine builder (everything from well motors to hot-rods), I'd rather spend a few extra bucks up front than go through the hassle and expense of doing an early teardown and overhaul.

Last edited by a moderator:
For many years now, when I get a new car I change the oil and filter the first time at half the recommended interval with conventional oil, then at the recommended interval and after that with synthetic. Put well over 100,000 miles on several of them, never had a problem.

That's my system. It seems to work. Whatever.

The Louisville assembly plant uses 5w20 Semi Syn in the ST....... I asked... LOL

I just bought 5w20 for my st.. will change at 1,000 then around 2K and work to the standard 3-4K interval.......

Ford used to install a Grey filter.... That filter indicated break in oil and was also used to tell if the owner or person the leased the truck ever changed the oil...

I removed sooo many of these on trucks with over 20K miles on them... motors tapping and the FIRST oil change...

I SOO wish they would go back to marking these things..

Todd Z

Latest posts