Fixin up the 02

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trudat Trudat

Reaction score
This site has been invaluable when purchasing products or deciding what mods to do to your Trac.

Ive been putting off buying tires for my 2002 Trac but had to break down when I saw cracks in the sidewalls. The tires have 65,000 miles on them and I have been all around the country.

Today I bought 4 Goodyear RT/S from NTB. They wanted 121 per tire but I took them adds from Sears and Sams where the tire is 112. Now before the crap year stuff starts, Im going to buy a 2008 so I figured I'd let the next person buy BETTER tires.

Now onto shock. Im going to order 4 Monroe Reflex shocks from Shockwarehouse for 178 and change, free shipping. Then I have a front right caliper issue that needs addressing and then front brakes. Ceramic or not? Then theres the lowering kit that caught my eye. I know I want a 2008 but got to take care of this one first.

Once again, I enjoy all the input from you guys, the experts that keep the Sport Trac going!!!!!

Oh yeah, my budjet is 1000.00, and ive spent 500 on tires. Give me some help to spend the other 500. Thanks ..................

Trudat..............................:)

First I suggest you shop around more, especially online. For the 112 per tire, you could have found better than CrapYear, and the improved ride would have improved your sale price. Sorry, but you knew it was coming.

At the high end Akebono ceramic pads, at the low end, Wagner Quik or Quiet Stops. The caliper is going to cost you if you don't know how to do it yourself. The $500 will probably go towards the brakes if you go to a shop. Sears would probably do the brakes and the shocks for around $500.

Could this "front right caliper issue" be lack of grease on the slide pins causing a dragging caliper, or is it worse?

Check rockauto.com for parts.

Skip the lowering kit, 1. for cost, and 2. for resale.

You spent $112 for CrapYear RT/S tires!?!?!? Why? There are a million better tires out there for much less money than the RT/S. You could have gotten some decent Big O or Kelli Springfield tires for ~$80 a tire!

Don't waste anymore money fixing an old vehicle up to sell. If you want to spend money on it, spend $125 on a complete detail job and that is it. You will not recoup any of the other money on new tires, brakes, or shocks.

Thanks Nobleman and Gavin. Yeah, NBM, I knew it was coming. Sidewalls were leaking and I had to make a decision. Going to goggle the brakes. Thanks for the recommendation. I should be able to replace the caliper with friends help.

And Gavin, I will look at detailing. It needs a good wax and polish.........

Later......Trudat