Flashing OD

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom G

Reaction score
Well i just had my first encounter with the flashing OD. I was driving the trac today in the rain, the truck started to jerk every time it shifted. It kind of felt like the rear or trany was sliping every shift. I immediately shut down the trac and restarted it, and the light went off. Now my trac seems to be shifting gears smooth.

Do you think i should take it to ford? The OD light is not longer flashing.

Thanks

Tom

Yes I would probably take it in to Ford. The earlier you catch the problem the better. If you catch it early you will save money and will hopefully not have to have the tranny rebuilt and it will prob be the solenoid (sp?). If you wait till it gets worse or just wait to take it in it will probably need to rebuild the tranny. So take it in now and save some $$. Take it from me who didnt so I had to have my tranny rebuilt.

When it comes to the tranny in our Tracs the light is normally a "Flashing Light of Death".

Every now and then it is just a quirk and resets once the key is turned off and back on.

As noted above the earlier you get an issue addressed, the better (normally).

So I would at lease get the code pulled if it did retain one to give you an idea in the event you have a failure...

Yep, I'm with Coastie on this one... Take it to Ford and have them plug it in and get the codes out of it. It goes downhill fast, so don't wait too long!!! I took mine in on Wednesday, they fixed it on Friday. Told me that any longer and they would've needed to rebuild the tranny.

I had the same thing happen to my '01. iI had to get a new tranny. EXACT SAME THING....

i took it to the shop and had it read ( for codes) they told me they could do a thing untill it would flash for them. I had to leave it a week while they drove it waiting for the od light to flash....two weeks and 1200 bucks later the tranny was rebuilt and everything is running fine now. It's been about two months. I can gaurantee this is the same issue. I had a problem between 3rd and 4th too just for the record. I stuck out the tranny problems and couldn't be happier with the trac now. I think this is a mandatory fix for the "01's but if you can shell it out the trucks worth it...Keep on tracking, good luck..hope it's not bad , but from experience go ahead and brace for the tranny rebuild. ;)

I had the samething happen to my 04 4x4, I think the paper work that I got when I took it to the dealership said it was some type of sensor, I forget what it was. When I get home from work i'll find the paper work and let you know what it was.

Thanks Guys i have a 04 4x4 with about 33,000 miles on it. I have an appointment with ford on friday so i will let you know how it goes.

TOm